Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Microsoft Now Offering Windows 10 Reservations

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I would disagree, I find it a different beast compared to 8. I've been using the technical preview for months and it has been pretty solid. The normal test version mishaps of course but all in all it was smooth sailing, bug fix delivery and new builds were generally good. It is definitely good enough for our internal use and that is also important to help us learn it and fix it. The usual first round of bugs are already appearing as is want to happen when MS release a new OS. I'm encouraging clients not to upgrade yet from existing systems although as our customers buy OEM computers it is going to be forced on at least a few new production systems in the near future.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by emr View Post
    You can download a trial version, don't have the link right now but it is available. Seems strange that channel partners wouldn't be offered it directly. We have MS Action Pack/Partner/whatever they are calling it these days and 10 was available since at least last week, possibly earlier but it has been a while since I logged into the site to check downloads available.
    OK, first off, it isn't August 8th yet, and I really don't know how I missed that typo Anyway, I don't currently have an Action Pack subscription and haven't for the last couple of years. I can't see the point of coughing up $425 a year, when most of the software in the package is stuff that I don't really have the time to explore, or don't need for office use. I might be wrong, but my understanding is the release version of Win10 won't install over the trial, and right now, I really want to keep the hassle to a minimum. If I get too impatient I might try running it in VM Ware, I suppose. The MS Channel Partner Program certainly isn't what it used to be, certainly not near the bottom of the food chain where I reside
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Once again, my friend in Vancouver pulled through with a link to download the upgrade. I did, and it was by far the most painless Windows upgrade I've ever done. I didn't even have to re-enter my product code to complete the upgrade. I still need to make restore media and do a backup, but that's likely to be a Thursday job, since I'm pretty covered up. First impressions are that it is clearly faster than Win 8.1 (which kicks Win 7's ass) and that the interface is uglier than a baboon's ass. But, I didn't have to re-install a single driver or program to get it all working. Cortana really wants to talk with me, so I guess I'm going to buy a webcam or a headset so I can have some audio input available.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I'm starting to see completed downloads on some client computers, but just in case, this is the link I used:
    https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/soft...d/windows10ISO
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    You can make a DVD or USB upgrade installer from the MS downloader and use this on any registered system [even Daz Loader] from 7 upwards.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    If you have a MSDN subscription you can get the full ISO - that is install from scratch...

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by CeeBee View Post
    If you have a MSDN subscription you can get the full ISO - that is install from scratch...
    Even the "upgrade" version lets you make a full ISO or bootable pendrive, but you need a Win10 product ID to activate. Of course, MS will sell you one right from the activation screen. Have just done this for a client who got so fed up with the clunky and glacially slow HP Restore, and the rotten performance of her HP 2000 laptop under Win 8.1, that she just coughed up the cash for a license and we did a clean installation. Works very well, but I was surprised by how slow the clean installation was. Heavens to Vista!
    WIFFLEBALL!