Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Women's World Cup 2015

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

Women's World Cup 2015

Anybody see the Columbia vs. USA match yesterday? Columbia was ranked something like 28th going in the match and I believe USA was #2. The first half of the match was an aggressive, close match.

Shortly into the second half, Abbi W. was driving on the goal and the Columbia keeper came out of the box (barely) to stop her. In the process, she cut out Abbi's legs from beneath her. Was it an aggressive defense? Yes. Was it overly aggressive? Not by my estimate but what do I know? The ref ended up giving the keeper the red card and booted her from the game. Columbia sent in a replacement who the announcers indicated was not nearly as good. Strangely enough, Abbi missed the free kick on the goal. After that, the game was not nearly as close. I think USA started to put in subs around 70 minutes or so and they won 2-0.

Either way the USA probably would have won this match but I hated to see them win it in the way they did. How would have the match turned out if the ref had not booted out the Columbia keeper. Who knows?

Did you see the match? What did you think about the call?

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I missed the first half, but I saw the entire second half. I don't watch a ton of soccer, but I thought the call was crap and decided the game. I also thought the yellow cards against the usa players were crap, and that could potentially decide the next game since two of them can't play due to yellow cards. Between that and all the stuff going on at the very top of soccer right now, it's hard to believe that it isn't heavily rigged and extreme favor is not given to whoever those at the top want to win.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    U.S. has just beaten China in the quarterfinals and plays Germany on Tuesday. Maybe not the most dominant team we've ever fielded, but damn good.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I watched this game. Considering USA had two starting players benched and Abbi did not come in until around 85 minutes, I was surprised the game was not closer than it was. I know USA only won 1-0 but it felt like most of the game was played on the China end of the field. It seems like the game was not as close as the score suggests.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I had something like a half-hour conversation with my daughter about this game, and even though I didn't understand about 95% of what she had to say, I think I can still condense it pretty well. During the game, Team USA got much more aggressive and controlled the game more and more as it progressed. Morgan Brian played one Hell of a game. For the German game, Rapinoe and Holiday come off suspension and will play. Guaranteed start for Rapinoe, but maybe not Holiday. See previous remark about Morgan Brian.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    OK, we just kicked Germany's ass 2-0, and dominated the game. My daughter and I had another long conversation about the game, most of which I failed to comprehend yet again, but we won. We will either face the Japanese or the British team for the title.
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb View Post
    OK, we just kicked Germany's ass 2-0, and dominated the game. My daughter and I had another long conversation about the game, most of which I failed to comprehend yet again, but we won. We will either face the Japanese or the British team for the title.
    English team, not British. Huge difference.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    It never occurred to me there would be a difference. I am assuming you must mean Scotland for example has their own team and the team in the World Cup is 100% English. Correct?

Anyway, I would like to see the English team advance. I have the DVR set to record the match in case I work late tonight. Too bad the match will be on so late for those in England. I suspect a fair number of people will be calling in on July 2.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazzak View Post
    English team, not British. Huge difference.
    Sorry about that. You'll have to excuse me. I'm just an ignorant Colonial who sometimes misses these nuances
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I'm watching the England/Japan match.

At around 30 minutes, Japan was awarded a penalty kick which in my uneducated opinion, they did not deserve. At about 40 minutes, England got a penalty kick which in my still uneducated opinion they did not deserve either. Now, the game is tied 1-1. Hopefully, going forward, the calls will be better.