Thread: Colorado police used Spotify to find abducted kids in Mexico

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

Colorado police used Spotify to find abducted kids in Mexico

Before I say much more, Spotify gave data to law enforcement agents in co-operation with legal search warrants. Now a synopsis of the story.

"In early December 2014, Brittany Nunn missed a court date. She was scheduled to fight for custody of one of her daughters, but the tide in the case had been turning in favor of the girl's father, according to Colorado law enforcement.

So Nunn and her husband, Peter Barr, took her two daughters and left town, eventually ending up in Mexico, said Drew Webber, an investigator with the Larimer County, Colo., sheriff's department.

They were nabbed seven months later by the kind of digital footprints people increasingly leave without even realizing it. Law enforcement authorities have used all kinds of social media -- like Facebook and Instagram -- to track down people.

This time, it was Nunn's music listening habits that did her in.

Webber said a tipster had spotted recent activity from Nunn on music streaming service Spotify and alerted law enforcement. He scoured the Internet for other evidence of Nunn and Barr's movements, eventually filling out 12 search warrants for records at different technology companies. Those searches led him to an IP address that traced Nunn to Cabo San Lucas, Webber said."

Interesting. Especially for anyone that still thought they had any online anonymity. Full story.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb View Post
    Interesting. Especially for anyone that still thought they had any online anonymity.
    lol
    "But I got it because I'm an iSheep who needs to have all my stuff have an Apple logo on it."