Thread: Brian Wilson's Voice

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

Brian Wilson's Voice

I am watching "Brian Wilson and Friends: Live From The Venetian" on AXS right now. Considering the life this guy has lead, it is amazing he celebrated his 73rd birthday last month. Equally amazing is how good his voice sounds. I would have guessed his voice and the rest of his body would have worn out by now but I am obviously wrong.

http://www.brianwilson.com/news/2014...t-the-venetian

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Brian Wilson has had a history of mental illness, suspected to be caused by too much psychedelic drug use. While the effects can be life changing mentally, they appear to not do that much to a body physically. If singers keep singing, I have found, most can keep right on going. Look at Tony Bennett. I play music every Tuesday with a guy who is approaching 87, and he still sings wonderfully!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Some singers don't push it with their voices either. They know their comfort zone and they stay in it.

I listen to metal and a lot of singers have destroyed their voices while some continue to sound great. Those that sound great have always sang within the ability of their voices while others have pushed it over the years and smoked and done other things to not take care of their gift.

I wish I could sing. I really do. I mean, I sound great in the car with the windows up and music cranked but that is about it.
    "But I got it because I'm an iSheep who needs to have all my stuff have an Apple logo on it."

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Tekboy View Post
    Brian Wilson has had a history of mental illness, suspected to be caused by too much psychedelic drug use. While the effects can be life changing mentally, they appear to not do that much to a body physically. If singers keep singing, I have found, most can keep right on going. Look at Tony Bennett. I play music every Tuesday with a guy who is approaching 87, and he still sings wonderfully!
    Too many psychedelics, or too few. I think that might be hard to call. Anyway, your mind and your body don't always reflect the booze and drugs you've done over the years. Just look at Keith Richards; he doesn't look a day over 150. Bennett does indeed still have great pipes, and how many cigarettes do you suppose he smoked over the years? Look at some of the musicians we've lost recently like Clarke Terry and B.B. King; still playing and sounding great up to the second before they passed.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb View Post
    Too many psychedelics, or too few. I think that might be hard to call. Anyway, your mind and your body don't always reflect the booze and drugs you've done over the years. Just look at Keith Richards; he doesn't look a day over 150. Bennett does indeed still have great pipes, and how many cigarettes do you suppose he smoked over the years? Look at some of the musicians we've lost recently like Clarke Terry and B.B. King; still playing and sounding great up to the second before they passed.
    Good point on the smoking...I will have to retract that from my theory...

Maybe it is the volume and pushing ranges that are not natural that is destroying voices. These guys all sing like they are talking to their best friend. Easy on the pipes.
    "But I got it because I'm an iSheep who needs to have all my stuff have an Apple logo on it."