Thread: Ain't No Cure For The Browser War Blues

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

Ain't No Cure For The Browser War Blues

You know, not very long ago, it seemed like Internet Exploder was the browser where things were slow, kinda flaky, and some sites just didn't work quite right. Chrome and Firefox mostly worked just fine. Sure there were some minor glitches in both browsers, but they mostly just worked. Now, that seems to have changed. Chrome no longer supports the Microsoft Silverlight plugin. Firefox now blocks the Flash Player by default.

Netflix uses Silverlight, and that's also the default setting for Amazon Prime Video. You can watch video from both sites in Chrome, but apparently what you get is a Flash version of the video that is notably crappier than the Silverlight stream. So far, in Firefox I haven't missed Flash very much at all. I'm currently running Chrome 44 point whatever the hell today's version is, and I'm finding quite a few pages that don't display correctly. For example, trying to navigate my Verizon account in Chrome is largely impossible. Some pages consistently are unresponsive, while they work fine in Firefox.

But, it isn't all one sided. In Firefox 39.0, there are some web pages where the scroll wheel on my mouse doesn't function, nor do the Forward, Back, Top of Page, and Bottom of Page buttons I have programed on my mouse. I thought that we had reached a point where all the popular browsers delivered a basic and consistent level of functionality. Seems I was wrong.

Final thought. Listen to this and just substitute "Browser War Blues" for Summertime Blues
    Last edited by slgrieb; 07-27-2015 at 01:19 AM.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!