Thread: Ain't No Cure For The Browser War Blues

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

Ain't No Cure For The Browser War Blues

You know, not very long ago, it seemed like Internet Exploder was the browser where things were slow, kinda flaky, and some sites just didn't work quite right. Chrome and Firefox mostly worked just fine. Sure there were some minor glitches in both browsers, but they mostly just worked. Now, that seems to have changed. Chrome no longer supports the Microsoft Silverlight plugin. Firefox now blocks the Flash Player by default.

Netflix uses Silverlight, and that's also the default setting for Amazon Prime Video. You can watch video from both sites in Chrome, but apparently what you get is a Flash version of the video that is notably crappier than the Silverlight stream. So far, in Firefox I haven't missed Flash very much at all. I'm currently running Chrome 44 point whatever the hell today's version is, and I'm finding quite a few pages that don't display correctly. For example, trying to navigate my Verizon account in Chrome is largely impossible. Some pages consistently are unresponsive, while they work fine in Firefox.

But, it isn't all one sided. In Firefox 39.0, there are some web pages where the scroll wheel on my mouse doesn't function, nor do the Forward, Back, Top of Page, and Bottom of Page buttons I have programed on my mouse. I thought that we had reached a point where all the popular browsers delivered a basic and consistent level of functionality. Seems I was wrong.

Final thought. Listen to this and just substitute "Browser War Blues" for Summertime Blues
    Last edited by slgrieb; 07-27-2015 at 01:19 AM.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Netflix uses HTML5 in Chrome and Internet Exploder.

Internet Explorer 11 or later on Windows 8.1 or later
    Safari on Mac OSX 10.10 or later (Yosemite)
    Supported on all 2012 or later models and select 2011 models
    Google Chrome version 37 or later on Windows XP Service Pack 2 or later and Mac OSX 10.6 or later (Snow Leopard)

Still fucked with Firefox
    "But I got it because I'm an iSheep who needs to have all my stuff have an Apple logo on it."

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Larommi View Post
    Still fucked with Firefox
    Actually, my video quality with Firefox on both Netflix and Amazon is far, far better than what I get in Chrome. If I watch an Amazon Prime video in Chrome, I get a brief display of an explicit message suggesting it would better in Silverlight, and the result certainly bears that out. But, again there's more to it than that. As I mentioned, it's problems with page display, presumably scripting issues, etc. Some clients run software that won't work with any version of IE beyond version 9... And won't work with anything other than IE. At a time when browsers should be more consistent in supporting current standards, and more uniform in basic performance, it seems that isn't happening.
    Last edited by slgrieb; 07-27-2015 at 01:42 AM.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3058254
    However keep in mind that MS has pulled the plug on Silverlight few years ago and it is not going to be supported in IE12 aka Edge

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb View Post
    Actually, my video quality with Firefox on both Netflix and Amazon is far, far better than what I get in Chrome. If I watch an Amazon Prime video in Chrome, I get a brief display of an explicit message suggesting it would better in Silverlight, and the result certainly bears that out. But, again there's more to it than that. As I mentioned, it's problems with page display, presumably scripting issues, etc. Some clients run software that won't work with any version of IE beyond version 9... And won't work with anything other than IE. At a time when browsers should be more consistent in supporting current standards, and more uniform in basic performance, it seems that isn't happening.
    I run so many addons, it seems like nothing loads and displays correctly. I do agree with you for the most part...I use FF and Chrome and switch between them depending on what I am doing. It is kind of a pain, but i fondly remember the mess that Nutscrape turned into back in the day and i think I have it pretty good.
    "But I got it because I'm an iSheep who needs to have all my stuff have an Apple logo on it."

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    PC - I use Firefox with adblockplus and no script, though it seems FF now has an internat flash block program now, I still use no script. I have almost no issues with FF on a PC, rarely if ever had I needed to use Chrome, which I don't like as much for a PC. I had issue where mechwarrior and battlefield heroes would not work in FF. I will not use IE, and thought spartan/edge wasn't really very good, felt super unfinished (it was, and probably still is).

iCrap - Safari -Llove it, good browser.

Andriod - Chrome its the only thing that works somewhat consistently. Tried FF, Dolphin and CM Browser and they all have a lot of issues and eventually use a ton of ram in the background despite any small footprints that they may claim to have.