Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Latest Job Interview

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

Latest Job Interview

So I went in for an interview with AT&T yesterday to be a Premises Technician. Basically, the guy that comes out to your location and installs Uverse boxes, wifi, etc. Doesn't pay much starting out but lots of hours, overtime, good benefits, etc. Plus, once you get your foot in the door, lots of opportunity for advancement. There were about 25 of us guys and one guy showed up 2 minutes late; he was turned away. If you're late for your interview, they assume you will be late for work.

Anyway, they asked me six questions:

1) Describe a situation where you had an irate customer and how did you diffuse the situation.

2) Describe a situation where a coworker asked you for help.

3) How would you handle working with a "difficult" coworker?

4) Describe a situation where you had to work with hazardous material or a hazardous product. (Safety issue)

5) Describe a situation where you did something without being told.

6) If you had an issue to discuss with your boss, would you prefer texting, emailing or calling on the phone?

The interviewer said that all answers would be forwarded to Human Resources and that they would be the ones making the decisions. I thought I gave good solid answers to all of the above but I received an email saying that they were not moving forward with my application.

I don't know what the hell they were looking for. If anything, I was over-qualified. I've still got applications out there with other companies so I haven't given up but this is starting to eat at me. My self-confidence has taken a beating.

How would you answer the questions? Any advice?

TIA

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    1. One candidate brought approximately 50 ink pens with them, and proceeded to spread them out on the table during the interview.
    2. One candidate continued to fidget and reposition their duffel bag during the interview. Turns out, there was a dog inside. The candidate kept fidgeting and repositioning his duffel bag, which turned out to have a dog inside.
    3. After introducing himself by name, the candidate added,

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Lets try that again
    1. One candidate brought approximately 50 ink pens with them, and proceeded to spread them out on the table during the interview.
    2. One candidate continued to fidget and reposition their duffel bag during the interview. Turns out, there was a dog inside. The candidate kept fidgeting and repositioning his duffel bag, which turned out to have a dog inside.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    It will not let me post Sorry

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    4. In an answer to a question on diversity, the candidate used the term

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Lol! Gave up?

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I made a long post recently where I used a British pound currency sign in the middle. It cut off the rest of the post after that so I just deleted the rest. The forum is a bag of sh1t.

Unlucky JaxSon, hang in there.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I know that when you copy and paste that bad things happen in this forum. And then when you try to edit, things just get worse. So I understand about giving up on that front.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    If you like to copy and paste, use notepad or similar program that is pure ascii

1) Describe a situation where you had an irate customer and how did you diffuse the situation.
    After many apologies and attempts to work with the customer, I escalated the ticket.

2) Describe a situation where a coworker asked you for help.
    I usually ask coworkers about difficult situations troubleshooting issues when typical fixes aren't resolving the issue. Normally when I'm out of ideas I ask for help getting some other ideas I hadn't thought of.

3) How would you handle working with a "difficult" coworker?
    It depends on what is so difficult. I normally try to get along with all coworkers. I start by getting to know them a little, what their outlook is on the job, the tasks at hand etc. A coworker can be difficult because of personality, or issues they might have with management or administration. If it's a personality thing, I try to understand their point of view or at least display some empathy with their situation. If it's administrative, I just pretend I agree with them in order to get the job done with as little difficulty as possible.

4) Describe a situation where you had to work with hazardous material or a hazardous product. (Safety issue)
    I had to work with many hazardous materials and products while working as an aircraft mechanic. Liquid oxygen was probably the most dangerous of all materials we had to deal with. I always followed all the safety guidelines: Proper personal protective equipment, fire extinguisher readily available, following all the process steps for refilling the aircraft system, charging the refill unit, depleting pressure, etc.

5) Describe a situation where you did something without being told.
    The last time I did something without being told, I was verbally disciplined.

6) If you had an issue to discuss with your boss, would you prefer texting, emailing or calling on the phone? Face to face is actually my preferred method of dealing with issues. If that's not an option, phone would be my next best alternative.

Jaxson, don't let your confidence wane. They probably saw that you were over qualified. They KNOW you are not going to put up with any BS, which is what they really want to know. Hang in there and never let them see you sweat.
    When you're left out of the club, you know it. When you're in the club, you don't see what the problem is.

I am Green-Eyed.