Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Latest Job Interview

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by JaxSon View Post
    But what about a huge company that has tons of applicants with tons of interviews? That is what's going on in my mind.
    Go through a headhunter (or several). A very large number of jobs are not published. I would say that in the programming field most good jobs are not published, only headhunters know about them.
    While at it, a headhunter may have very good insight in the company and know what they are looking for and how to present you. Also they work FOR YOU and they usually get paid percentage of your salary, so if they feel they can sell you for more they will do it...

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    So I received an email from AT&T yesterday saying that they are having a hiring event coming up and that I'm invited. That's was makes me mad: I know that they're hiring but they didn't hire me. Technically, I'm not eligible to interview again for 90 days.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    So I received an email from AT&T yesterday saying that they are having a hiring event coming up and that I'm invited. That's was makes me mad: I know that they're hiring but they didn't hire me. Technically, I'm not eligible to interview again for 90 days.
    Well, I feel your pain. After having been fired and rehired by a Fortune 250 company, I found myself up in Alexandria Virginia just pissed off and missing Texas. My wife had a great job, but I was fed up. Of course, after moving back to Texas, I was finding it hard getting rehired. I did have a gig for a while selling insurance, but it wasn't really my cup of tea. Still, I know what it's like to go through this shit where you are over qualified, or too old, or whatever. It is hard on your self esteem and your wallet. Guess that's why I run my own small business. Though I have to say I kinda miss some of those corporate benefits like health insurance and 401K plans.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb View Post
    I know what it's like to go through this shit where you are over qualified, or too old, or whatever. .
    Ya_know, maybe that's it. I AM 58 and it shows. The grey hair and wrinkles give me away. They said that one of the first things they were going to do is spend 3 days or so teaching us how to climb telephone poles and that's what drives a lot of guys away due to the hard work and being afraid of heights. Maybe they didn't think I could handle the physical aspect of the job. They never said anything to my face tho. But I'm still in pretty good shape (except for my bypass surgery that they didn't know about) and I'm pretty confident I could handle it. Oh well...

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I just got a call from a lady looking for somebody just like me; working the same type hardware in the IT department. One of the questions she asked me was what type of compensation was I looking for? I told I was making X amount, which was actually higher than I've ever made. She said we could do that! So, now I'm excited again and looking forward to a face to face interview. Will let you know how it goes.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I just got a call from a lady looking for somebody just like me; working the same type hardware in the IT department. One of the questions she asked me was what type of compensation was I looking for? I told I was making X amount, which was actually higher than I've ever made. She said we could do that! So, now I'm excited again and looking forward to a face to face interview. Will let you know how it goes.
    That's great! Your'e a lucky man to hit a job that meshes with your skills and offers decent compensation. Best wishes.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Well rats! Just did another phone interview and they're looking for an admin guy, not a hardware guy. They're wanting somebody to admin VMWare and Linux. I know just enough to be dangerous. And they want an expert. Bummer.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Hang in there JaxSon. Something will turn up. You're getting closer. Keep smiling. :-)
    When you're left out of the club, you know it. When you're in the club, you don't see what the problem is.

I am Green-Eyed.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    So I went in for another job interview earlier this week. This is for Tier 1 software support in a call center. It pays $24/hr which is more than my present 2 jobs combined.

He asked me the basic questions: describe a situation where you had an irate customer, a situation where you went above and beyond, a situation where the customer was less than forthcoming with information. For the last the last question, he said, describe how you would construct a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

When you pull the 2 pieces of bread out of the wrapper, they are lined up perfectly. Open them up like a book and put your stuff in there so that when you put them back together, they will be lined up perfectly. Take 1 piece of bread and start spreading your peanut butter. Some people like the extra crunchy with lots of peanuts so you have to be careful not to tear the bread when spreading. Rotate the bread 90 degrees and spread again getting all surfaces covered. Do the same with the other piece of bread with the jelly. If you like strawberry or peach preserves, (I like peaches) there will be chunks of fruit in there and again, you have to be careful not to tear the bread while spreading. After putting the sandwich together, take a paper tower or a napkin and wrap it around the sandwich creating a diaper for it so that if anything falls out, it will be caught and not fall into your lap. I also like a glass of milk with my PB&J so I would put a glass in the freezer to get it good and cold. It will act just like a frosty mug for beer and keep it good and cold longer than a room temperature glass.

He said that he had given over 900 interviews and asked that same question each time and that I had said 3 things that nobody else had ever said. Don't tear the bread, napkin around the sandwich and the ice cold milk.

I left feeling confident that I was going to get this job. Guess what? I didn't get the job offer.

I getting really p|ssed because I don't know what the hell these people are looking for. I have experience working in a call center, gave all good answers and still not getting hired.

Time for a couple of tall cold ones.

...sigh...

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    So I went in for another job interview earlier this week. This is for Tier 1 software support in a call center. It pays $24/hr which is more than my present 2 jobs combined.

He asked me the basic questions: describe a situation where you had an irate customer, a situation where you went above and beyond, a situation where the customer was less than forthcoming with information. For the last the last question, he said, describe how you would construct a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

When you pull the 2 pieces of bread out of the wrapper, they are lined up perfectly. Open them up like a book and put your stuff in there so that when you put them back together, they will be lined up perfectly. Take 1 piece of bread and start spreading your peanut butter. Some people like the extra crunchy with lots of peanuts so you have to be careful not to tear the bread when spreading. Rotate the bread 90 degrees and spread again getting all surfaces covered. Do the same with the other piece of bread with the jelly. If you like strawberry or peach preserves, (I like peaches) there will be chunks of fruit in there and again, you have to be careful not to tear the bread while spreading. After putting the sandwich together, take a paper tower or a napkin and wrap it around the sandwich creating a diaper for it so that if anything falls out, it will be caught and not fall into your lap. I also like a glass of milk with my PB&J so I would put a glass in the freezer to get it good and cold. It will act just like a frosty mug for beer and keep it good and cold longer than a room temperature glass.

He said that he had given over 900 interviews and asked that same question each time and that I had said 3 things that nobody else had ever said. Don't tear the bread, napkin around the sandwich and the ice cold milk.

I left feeling confident that I was going to get this job. Guess what? I didn't get the job offer.

I getting really p|ssed because I don't know what the hell these people are looking for. I have experience working in a call center, gave all good answers and still not getting hired.

Time for a couple of tall cold ones.

...sigh...
    Yeah, I feel your pain. That's why I am self employed.
    WIFFLEBALL!