Thread: Who's the Active Directory expert here?

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

Question Who's the Active Directory expert here?

A little background first:

One of our library departments is in a building that used to be used by the county. Since they (our county IT overlords) had already routed all the network traffic to their personal liking, once technical services (it's not what you think) moved in, they didn't change the routing.

I have a DC in that building and it is now having difficulty replicating. When I force replication from it, I get the standard message one or more connections are in different sites and AD DS will attempt to replicate across these connections.

However, when I try to replicate from any other site or DC to this DC, I get the following message:

The following error occurred during the attempt to synchronize naming context my.domain.com from DC Krypton to DC Freon: The naming context is in the process of being moved or is not replicated from the specified server. This operation will not continue.

I have told my boss that there are significant errors on multiple DCs in regard to replicating from Krypton and I believe it's the firewall between that DC and everyone else. He asked the county IT guys to open up that firewall and gave him the IP address of all the other DCs, but nothing has changed. Even though it is "wide open." I have my doubts.

So, I think DNS is failing because all the servers stopped reporting to the WSUS server at the same time (roughly) 5/31 -6/1 is the last time any of them reported. It could be something completely different, but AD is completely dependent on DNS functioning correctly. With one DC basically out of the loop entirely, I expect things to start failing little by little.

I have researched some of the errors I've found on other DCs and the first thing in the list of things to check is usually Make sure there is no firewall between DCs.

So, since I can't get the firewall out of this equation, what kind of workaround option do I have? Or do I have any options?

What other failures can I expect to see, as I don't see any resolution?
    When you're left out of the club, you know it. When you're in the club, you don't see what the problem is.

I am Green-Eyed.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Never mind. I am finding out as I have a server that died sometime over night - Directory Services could not start. No one could log in and the shares were not available.
    When you're left out of the club, you know it. When you're in the club, you don't see what the problem is.

I am Green-Eyed.