Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Looks like Sharpie won...

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Funny thing about digital photos, does anyone ever say "hey honey go get the tablet so we can pull our vacation pictures from 5 years ago and pass the tablet around so our friends can see the pictures" "Sure but I need to crank up the backup drive first"? Never see digital albums lying on the coffee table and digital picture frames should be banned to the Dr's waiting room. Love the ease of use and storability, but come on, are we losing something here? A printed photo just seems more precious to me.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazzak View Post

I'd be interested to hear how Lance works with his digital media from the photography business.
    Stuff is backed up to a backup server in the basement nightly. Current Years pictures are also backed up on a fireproof external hard drive right by the computer so it's grab and go in case of emergency.
    Previous Years stuff is burnt to dvd and stored off site in my dad's fire safe.

I'm looking into cloud backup and also blueray burners for the extra capacity

the personal stuff is backed up on another fireproof external in the basement.

it's time to rethink, redo all this though...so things may change this year.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by jitBob View Post
    Funny thing about digital photos, does anyone ever say "hey honey go get the tablet so we can pull our vacation pictures from 5 years ago and pass the tablet around so our friends can see the pictures" "Sure but I need to crank up the backup drive first"? Never see digital albums lying on the coffee table and digital picture frames should be banned to the Dr's waiting room. Love the ease of use and storability, but come on, are we losing something here? A printed photo just seems more precious to me.
    100% agree. One of the things I'd like to get Jamie to do is create cheap coffee table albums for each year worth of pictures she has since we've been together. Pick the best 80 pics from that year that tell a story and make a book...she's keen on the idea but it's a lot of time to do it...hopefully we will though.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Are there better alternatives to CD's?........absolutely. Are those options cheaper?...........mostly not.

But for mass production of products to pass out, things like media with a text book, powerpoints you want to send home with the entire school, etc. they're still a very viable (and cheap) option if we're talking about content that is too large for some people to download.

And for mass production, you usually want to be able to automate the "labeling" process to make it easier (not to mention more professional) than a sharpie. I can atest to this, at my last position we had 2 different CD/DVD duplicators that would burn and then print 100 cd/dvd's at a time unattended. Every fiscal year we bought thousands of discs and used them (and in most cases more) throughout the year for our training department to mail out to distant education students. Here in PA, there are still a lot of people without broadband, and even those with DSL sometimes it can be cumbersome to download a few GB's worth of data.

So are CD's/DVD's as relevant as they were 5-6 years ago?.......probably not. But are they still relevant?.......absolutely. Don't forget webby, not everybody lives in silicone valley. Budgets and lack of technology still keeps older technology alive elsewhere.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by 74AD View Post
    I'm looking into cloud backup and also blueray burners for the extra capacity
    Oddly enough when I looked into bluray it seemed that the reliability was an issue - much, much worse than DVD, with some users reporting bad discs after only few months of just storage.
    I used to also back up to tape, but the drive started to show signs of aging so I gave up on it.
    Right now I have an older set of backups to DVD for pictures and all "media" is on a RAID array on my server, also backed up to an external HDD connected to the computer and from time to time to another external HDD that stays disconnected when not in use in my "office".
    I toyed with the idea of saving a resized copy of the pictures and videos in the cloud, I might re-evaluate it and write a script to automatically resize any new picture and compress videos, then sync with a cloud storage account - for a "not the original but at least something" kind of disaster recovery.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by CeeBee View Post
    Oddly enough when I looked into bluray it seemed that the reliability was an issue - much, much worse than DVD, with some users reporting bad discs after only few months of just storage.
    I used to also back up to tape, but the drive started to show signs of aging so I gave up on it.
    Right now I have an older set of backups to DVD for pictures and all "media" is on a RAID array on my server, also backed up to an external HDD connected to the computer and from time to time to another external HDD that stays disconnected when not in use in my "office".
    I toyed with the idea of saving a resized copy of the pictures and videos in the cloud, I might re-evaluate it and write a script to automatically resize any new picture and compress videos, then sync with a cloud storage account - for a "not the original but at least something" kind of disaster recovery.
    well that's good to know about the reliability.

I'm kind of hip to your resized media in the cloud idea. I may steal that :-)

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I have my phone and my wife's both setup to backup all pictures to Google+ automatically when on WiFi. Now granted, that's only cell phone pics, but it's a start.....

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    This thread has me thinking,... If you could invent the perfect storage medium, what features would it have? For example, I'm thinking of something along the lines of a watch or some kind of wearable wrist band. It has a petabyte of storage, a port for a USB cable, 802.11ac, bluetooth, it's indestructible, sync's to a secondary device that you keep somewhere else and is impervious to bit rot. Also, it's compatible with Chromecast so that you can beam your photos to your TV screen when the family is over. This device would cost under $50.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    If you could invent the perfect storage medium[...] a port for a USB cable, 802.11ac, bluetooth,
    Wow... no iphone compatibility??? Wow, just wow...

Administrator
    vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Nice thing about DVD photo storage is that most blu-ray/DVD players kept under the tv will play them as a slide show. Also the number are limited so you know that the show will be over soon