Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PC's and Cubicals/Desks

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

PC's and Cubicals/Desks

After installing probably 500 PCs/Laptops over the course of the last year or so, I have come to the sound and honest conclusion that all Cubical/Desk designers are complete imbiciles with no idea of real world needs or constraints.

Also, the guy that invented that under desk keyboard/mouse tray should be tortured and shot.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Um, I think that's too harsh. I have a computer desk that's very open so I can get to all the wiring easily, the box sits in an tray that elevates it off the floor, and the keyboard tray is at a great height for typing and using my mouse while I still have a small desktop for writing, etc.

But, overall, I'd agree that most "computer furniture" appears to be designed by folks who have never used a computer, let alone serviced one. My pet peeve is designs that have all these stupid doors and bullshit that are tailor made to A: restrict airflow to the system, and B: render all the cabling inaccessible. And why the Hell is it that the shittiest designs are all massive and heavy?

For instance, I have a client who has a lovely desk and hutch piece that weighs 700 lbs if it weighs an ounce, and if any new wired device is connected to it, the thing has to be moved to provide routing access for the cabling. Fortunately, the beast sits on a tile floor, so I can move it without help. If it were on carpet, forget it. But, I work with worse.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Cheap shit is like that. Offices generally have cheaper furniture like that.

The nice stuff is really well layed out and have ample pass throughs for cabling.

I am fortunate to work in a cabinet shop and when it comes time for me to build my desk, I will be doing it right.
    "But I got it because I'm an iSheep who needs to have all my stuff have an Apple logo on it."

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I'll gladly join you in stoning the inventor of the keyboard tray

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Larommi View Post
    Cheap shit is like that. Offices generally have cheaper furniture like that.

The nice stuff is really well layed out and have ample pass throughs for cabling.

I am fortunate to work in a cabinet shop and when it comes time for me to build my desk, I will be doing it right.
    With all due respect, I'd say that the most expensive furniture is the most difficult to work with, and is generally built to last, and look good without being functional. If there is some nice, high end furniture built with ease of access in mind, I sure as Hell haven't seen it.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Cleetus View Post
    I'll gladly join you in stoning the inventor of the keyboard tray
    OK, so why?
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb View Post
    With all due respect, I'd say that the most expensive furniture is the most difficult to work with, and is generally built to last, and look good without being functional. If there is some nice, high end furniture built with ease of access in mind, I sure as Hell haven't seen it.
    You have to look somewhere other than Costco
    "But I got it because I'm an iSheep who needs to have all my stuff have an Apple logo on it."

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Larommi View Post
    You have to look somewhere other than Costco
    Really, Bubba, trust me, most of the stuff that truly pisses me off didn't come from Costco. First off, there isn't a Costco in these parts, and secondly, a guy that operates over 200 oil and gas leases wouldn't shop there anyway. You might think that we are just a bunch of rubes here in the Texas Panhandle, but I can assure you that I work for several rubes who are worth millions. And really, again, I'll maintain that the most expensive furniture is always the biggest pain in the ass to deal with. That stuff is built to be beautiful, not functional.
    Last edited by slgrieb; 11-01-2015 at 12:50 PM.
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb View Post
    OK, so why?
    I'm referring mostly to cubicles, which rarely have decent track for the thicker three prong power cords.

The under tray for a cubicle is a nightmare. It makes getting under the desk almost dangerous, and you bang your knees on it more than anything else. Also, the mouse falls off constantly and to boot, its like a damned Rubik's cube to figure out how to fold under the same cube desk.

The typical office desk managers get is OK if they put the holes in them to run cords but they often don't. I he desks for executive types always seem to be old school and have nothing in mind for the use of anything bearing cables.

But, mainly I was referring to cubicles. They are always difficult and I don't care how new they are.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    What he said