Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Price of gas

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by JaxSon View Post
    In Texas, the registration costs are directly related to the weight of the vehicle...the heavier the vehicle, the more it will tear up the roads, bridges, etc.
    That's actually a pretty smart idea! I like it.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I picture Homer Simpson driving with a grand piano on the roof of his car and tire chains.
    "But I got it because I'm an iSheep who needs to have all my stuff have an Apple logo on it."

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    $36 for my cars, $54 for my truck. I'm lucky enough to still live in a county that doesn't do emission testing so standard inspection is only $20-$25.
    "Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free." - Jim Morrison

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by 3fingersalute View Post
    $36 for my cars, $54 for my truck. I'm lucky enough to still live in a county that doesn't do emission testing so standard inspection is only $20-$25.
    that is lucky. Emissions is a damn racket. I wouldn't really even care if they just tested at the tailpipe and it was a pass or fail but the BS with the check engine light is so lame. I had an old car that could easily pass emissions every single time and got 30 miles to the gallon even with a bad o2 sensor, but I had to get rid of it because it wouldn't pass emissions and the O2 sensor (one of two) that was failing was a $400 + labor. Car was getting to the point where it wasn't worth putting over a grand into it.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by 74AD View Post
    that is lucky. Emissions is a damn racket. I wouldn't really even care if they just tested at the tailpipe and it was a pass or fail but the BS with the check engine light is so lame. I had an old car that could easily pass emissions every single time and got 30 miles to the gallon even with a bad o2 sensor, but I had to get rid of it because it wouldn't pass emissions and the O2 sensor (one of two) that was failing was a $400 + labor. Car was getting to the point where it wasn't worth putting over a grand into it.
    I have an old 87 toyota pickup, it doesn't even have a catalytic converter on it anymore......For now my mechanic passes it as is, but if emission testing ever comes here I'm in trouble
    "Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free." - Jim Morrison

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by 74AD View Post
    but it won't pass if the codes have been reset. you have to run the drive cycle until all the sensors show as "ready" (60 + miles of varying driving conditions) and hope you're lucky enough to not have the check engine light come back on before then. Sometimes it works, but most of the time in my experience, if you don't fix the problem causing the code, you're going to have it come back before you finish the drive cycle to get the sensors to "ready"

That's exactly what I am going through right now. My mechanic loaned me a code reader and told me what to do to get the 2 INC's to come on, or close, or open or what ever it is they're supposed to do. One of them is catalyst and the other is O2 sensor. Not sure why they are INC, but have been that way for a long time now. I'm just hoping I don't have to change my catalytic converter. I hear it's expensive.
    When you're left out of the club, you know it. When you're in the club, you don't see what the problem is.

I am Green-Eyed.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by northbayteky View Post
    I'm just hoping I don't have to change my catalytic converter. I hear it's expensive.
    The part is relatively cheap (150-300).
    I had it replaced some 10 years ago on a Grand Prix, it was some 300 including labor. GM reimbursed me later as it became part of a recall for early failures.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by northbayteky View Post
    That's exactly what I am going through right now. My mechanic loaned me a code reader and told me what to do to get the 2 INC's to come on, or close, or open or what ever it is they're supposed to do. One of them is catalyst and the other is O2 sensor. Not sure why they are INC, but have been that way for a long time now. I'm just hoping I don't have to change my catalytic converter. I hear it's expensive.
    Codes can be found here. http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/ There are other sites like this that will tell you want you need to do to fix the problem. It might be as simple as a sensor.
    "But I got it because I'm an iSheep who needs to have all my stuff have an Apple logo on it."

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Larommi View Post
    Codes can be found here. http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/ There are other sites like this that will tell you want you need to do to fix the problem. It might be as simple as a sensor.
    My mechanic told me what I need to do to get the sensor to open and communicate. The problem is, it involves a lot of driving with my gas tank between 1/4 and 3/4 full and I just haven't had that kind of time. He said he could fix it for smogging purposes if he had it for a few days. A few days I just don't have because I need to get to work.
    When you're left out of the club, you know it. When you're in the club, you don't see what the problem is.

I am Green-Eyed.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    You need another mechanic. A second opinion if you will.