Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Price of gas

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by CeeBee View Post
    I am not. I get gas when I need it, from the station that is on my way (or I may delay a bit if I know I'm going to BJ's when my tank is nearly empty).
    I might save a whole $0.50 by taking a detour, but between the extra wear of the car and gas it's just not worth it, not to mention the time. Plus cheaper gas is usually worse, in the end it may cost more due to lower MPG.
    Same, I don't use an app. I know that every gas station within my normal path of my daily 35 mile commute is all within pennies of each other. Even if gas is 20 cents cheaper a gallon somewhere (which doesn't happen here) I would save less than $3.00 on a full tank (if I was completely bone-dry empty) so that's not worth going out of my way for.
    "Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free." - Jim Morrison

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by 3fingersalute View Post
    ...every gas station within my normal path ...
    The prices I see on my normal path vary widely. When I need gas I route myself to Costco. It's not really very far out of my way and I know it's always the cheapest going. No need for an app.

There are Arco stations that sometimes compare within pennies of Costco. But the posted price p/g is for cash payment. They charge extra if you use a debit card.
    When you're left out of the club, you know it. When you're in the club, you don't see what the problem is.

I am Green-Eyed.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    The nice thing about an app (or at least, Gas Buddy) is it tells you when gas is going to go up. Costco tends to be a little slow to raise their price so if I get a message at lunch, I stop by Costco on the way home. Gas could easily be 25 cents a gallon cheaper than everyone else in the area. If I consistently buy gas when it is low, it adds up over time. No, a single fill up is not going to make much difference.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I don't know about you guys, but around here it is very easy to predict gas prices. Tuesday is always the cheapest day to buy it, and it pretty much always goes up either Tuesday after lunch or by evening. If it doesn't, that means the prices will stay the same thru the weekend until the following tuesday. I've been watching it religiously for about 5 years now. The same five gas stations in the city are always the cheapest, the three gas stations next door to our office are always about 10 cents a gallon higher than the rest. I know I pay a little too close attention to gas...

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Like some of the folks here have mentioned, I buy gas when I need it. I do not drive out of the way to buy it cheaper if it means I burn my savings trying to get it. 5 cents cheaper only saves me 1.25 on a tank from empty. I am not rich by any sense of the word, but my time has value and 1.25 is not it.
    "But I got it because I'm an iSheep who needs to have all my stuff have an Apple logo on it."

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by imarolan12 View Post
    I don't know about you guys, but around here it is very easy to predict gas prices. Tuesday is always the cheapest day to buy it, and it pretty much always goes up either Tuesday after lunch or by evening. If it doesn't, that means the prices will stay the same thru the weekend until the following tuesday. I've been watching it religiously for about 5 years now. The same five gas stations in the city are always the cheapest, the three gas stations next door to our office are always about 10 cents a gallon higher than the rest. I know I pay a little too close attention to gas...
    That's wild. I don't typically pay close attention to gas prices but when this price drop was announced a few months ago I started watching. Almost every station within a 20-30 mile radius of me had the exact same price for around 2 months without every wavering so much as a penny....
    "Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free." - Jim Morrison

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by 3fingersalute View Post
    That's wild. I don't typically pay close attention to gas prices but when this price drop was announced a few months ago I started watching. Almost every station within a 20-30 mile radius of me had the exact same price for around 2 months without every wavering so much as a penny....

The only reason I started paying attention was because a coworker told me that and I wanted to prove him wrong. I'm not sure I've ever seen stable prices for more than two weeks out here, but there's so many gas stations fighting to draw people in to buy their overpriced candy bars and drinks, that probably makes them drop the gas prices a few cents a gallon to be the cheapest.

I always found it crazy that people will wait in line for five minutes to get gas to save five cents a gallon when there is a gas station across the street with five pumps open. I can understand that to some people, 75 cents is worth saving....but I wouldn't think enough people would be in that position that one gas station is literally packed while the other one is virtually empty.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by imarolan12 View Post
    The only reason I started paying attention was because a coworker told me that and I wanted to prove him wrong. I'm not sure I've ever seen stable prices for more than two weeks out here, but there's so many gas stations fighting to draw people in to buy their overpriced candy bars and drinks, that probably makes them drop the gas prices a few cents a gallon to be the cheapest.

I always found it crazy that people will wait in line for five minutes to get gas to save five cents a gallon when there is a gas station across the street with five pumps open. I can understand that to some people, 75 cents is worth saving....but I wouldn't think enough people would be in that position that one gas station is literally packed while the other one is virtually empty.
    Yeah, that's probably what does it. There isn't a huge selection of gas stations in my general vicinity (probably 15 or so) but they all stay within 2-5 cents tops of each other. The 3 I pass every morning to get on the highway have been holding at $2.25-$2.29 for months.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    We finally dropped a little - $2.19 now.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I had 40 cents off in rewards yesterday, and filled my car for $1.52 per gallon. Cheapest gas I have purchased in over 20 years, I am certain.