Disable potential Win10 update:
    https://www.grc.com/never10.htm

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by CeeBee View Post
    Ummm.. nope. Refer to the EULA...

...and Microsoft may need to update your system to provide you with those updates. By accepting this agreement, you agree to receive these types of automatic updates without any additional notice.
    That may be but I still don't like it. I kept clearing those dialogue boxes that kept trying to get me to update to Win10. And then, it went ahead and updated to Win10 anyway! And I still say it's a CROCK!!!

The system seems to be working fine since it has updated to Win10 but again, one of my main clients uses a version of VMWare and Workbooth that doesn't like Win10. That was the main reason I didn't want to update. When I try to log in, it says Win10 is not supported.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Just a thought but since the upgrade is running out on 7/29 wouldn't it make sense to image the system as windows 7, do the upgrade to get the digital entitlement for future upgrade, and then image it back to windows 7?
    I'm kicking around doing that with a couple of systems I'm not yet ready to bite the bullet on, but will eventually.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I have licenses for all MS software through my MSDN subscription so I'm in no rush to upgrade.
    And even if I did upgrade I'd still use a loader to activate, just on principle.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I had to Google loader. That's not filled with virus, spyware and who knows what else???

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobile PC View Post
    I had to Google loader. That's not filled with virus, spyware and who knows what else???
    Nope - at least not the good one (DAZ).
    https://www.facebook.com/windows7loader/
    IIRC it's open source

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by 74AD View Post
    Just a thought but since the upgrade is running out on 7/29 wouldn't it make sense to image the system as windows 7, do the upgrade to get the digital entitlement for future upgrade, and then image it back to windows 7?
    I'm kicking around doing that with a couple of systems I'm not yet ready to bite the bullet on, but will eventually.
    Yeah, I'm in the process of doing that with 22 machines. PITA, but cheaper than buying 22 Win10 Pro upgrades when all the client's software is certified in late October.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I just did the Win10 Anniversary Update, and it went very well. Apps seem to load a little quicker and the system feels more responsive, and in fact the update fixed some minor system glitches like a MS Weather App that couldn't retrieve data. So I had no problems.

Now, I've read about the bug that seems to cause to cause lockup issues on a few systems running the OS on an SSD and programs and data on a standard hard drive. I run the OS and my most important and frequently used programs from my SSD, and run the software that I don't use much, and store all my data files on a standard HDD, and I had no issues.

Initial reports of the problem indicated that the were 600 and something initial posts related to this issue, and last time I looked the count was up to 800 something. That's probably like 100 people reporting the problem. One of the problems with comparing searches for incident posts to the number of individual incidents is that isn't very accurate. It's like going to a park in the fall, counting fallen leaves and assuming that each leave comes from a single tree.

In fact that's one of the sorts of issues that finally made me quit posting on tech support forums. You have a lot of people who will post the same question on multiple forums and multiple threads on a forum. For instance, researching an unrelated issue on MS support, a moderator slapped down a poster because he had started 25 threads all asking minor semantic variations on the same question. Sometimes stuff like this gets flagged rapidly and combined into a single thread on a forum, sometimes they don't. And of course, there's no co-ordination between all the online forums.

So, if you are trying to help any of these guys, you often get no feed back from your posts, and if they find a solution, they will never, ever, share with it with all the places they've posted a question. I just finally decided that about 90% of the people posting on support forums are just totally self-involved leeches. Piss on 'em.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    That's why this site is great, no one posts for help............

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobile PC View Post
    That's why this site is great, no one posts for help............
    Yeah, but I noticed you didn't disagree with assessment of the state of tech support forums.
    WIFFLEBALL!