Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just been given a Surface RT

Administrator
    vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    The line of DV laptops which look good and are fast with mostly good sound have poor ventilation and they just overheat, which melts the solder, which then solidifies again with dry joints. The cost of getting a reball which will actually last more than 3 months for the most part just isn't worth it.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I have HP enterprise laptops with CENTRINO processors (to show their age) that are still running like champs. In fact, I'm prepping some of them for windows 10 to be sold as internet only laptops.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo View Post
    have poor ventilation and they just overheat, which melts the solder,
    No, overheating does NOT melt the solder. Lead-free solder melts at about 220C, the CPU will be dead way before that assuming in 2016 there are still some without thermal protection.
    What usually happens is a) manufacturers use the least amount of paste they can to save $0.002 and b) the lead-free solder is way more brittle than the 63/37 and mechanical stress due to repeated heat/cool cycles breaks the already weak joints.
    The only components I've seen melting the solder and living another day were a couple of power transistors and some ceramic capacitors in a radio transmitter.
    Last edited by CeeBee; 02-03-2016 at 02:14 PM.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    HP builds good commercial stuff, but their consumer hardware is definitely junky, and all too often just downright weird. Case in point, a few months ago I replaced a DVD in an HP that, rather than using a mechanical switch for the tray, used electrical activation, and so required a special drive. Unavailable any where but eBay at rip off rates.

Then, there is HP's obsession with building cases that are so tight you almost need the hands of a 7 year old to work in them. And how about those wonderful HP BIOS?
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!