Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hateful 8

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

Hateful 8

I watched the Hateful 8 tonight. Maybe I will sound old by saying this but did it have to be that gory? I love John Wayne movies. People get shot in those movies routinely but it was less graphic. Do we really need to see somebody's head explode? If we keep raising the bar like this, what will it be next time?

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Yeah, you sound like an old fogey. But I agree with you to a certain extent. These days, it all about the special effects, CGI and all of that. It doesn't matter if it's sci-fi showing alien places or explosions or outright gore. Who can come up with the best special EFX?

Speaking of John Wayne, they've been showing a bunch of his movies on RETRO TV channel on cable. I still watch Big Jake and Hondo and True Grit and Rooster Cogburn when I come across 'em. Even McClintock which is more of a chick flick than anything else.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Not a John Wayne fan, but like him more than Tarantino. Saying that, no desire to watch this movie. Give me Eastwood in Good, Bad and the Ugly

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    When it comes to graphic violence, I don't think the bar can be raised much higher. Have you watched Django Unchained? Does blood and gore enhance a story? Don't think it really does. If the idea is to tell us that violence in the real world isn't pretty, I think we all got that message a long time ago.

I finally watched Star Wars: The Force Awakens, and it was fun with nary a drop of blood or any dripping entrails to be seen. It also reminded me of how many of my favorite movies Lawrence Kasdan has written: The Empire Strikes Back, Body Heat, Silverado, Raiders of the Lost Ark, etc. All without blood and brains splashed on the walls. I guess we should be thankful that some movies may strive to present realistic violence, but at least it doesn't smell like the real thing.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb View Post
    .... Django Unchained?...
    Of course there is gratuitous violence in them, they are both Quentin Tarantino movies. Isn't that kinda his trademark? Inglorious Basterds is also filled with gratuitous violence, but I still liked it.

I haven't seen the Hateful Eight yet, but I brought it home form t he library the other day, so I'll be seeing it soon.

On a side note, my daughter, the film buff, director-extraordinaire wannabe just loves Quentin Tarantino.
    When you're left out of the club, you know it. When you're in the club, you don't see what the problem is.

I am Green-Eyed.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    From Dusk to Dawn is about the only Tarantino film I really liked.
    "But I got it because I'm an iSheep who needs to have all my stuff have an Apple logo on it."

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by northbayteky View Post
    Of course there is gratuitous violence in them, they are both Quentin Tarantino movies. Isn't that kinda his trademark? Inglorious Basterds is also filled with gratuitous violence, but I still liked it.

I haven't seen the Hateful Eight yet, but I brought it home form t he library the other day, so I'll be seeing it soon.

On a side note, my daughter, the film buff, director-extraordinaire wannabe just loves Quentin Tarantino.
    YC is also a huge Tarantino fan.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    It must be the age.
    When you're left out of the club, you know it. When you're in the club, you don't see what the problem is.

I am Green-Eyed.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinnacle-Project View Post
    I watched the Hateful 8 tonight. Maybe I will sound old by saying this but did it have to be that gory? I love John Wayne movies. People get shot in those movies routinely but it was less graphic. Do we really need to see somebody's head explode? If we keep raising the bar like this, what will it be next time?

It's part of a genre of films tarantino is trying to copy. In this case he's probably working off of something like lone wolf and cub where the Gore was ridiculous with blood fountains, etc. Honestly IMO you're right about it in this film, IRS not called for. That said he is shooting a film all in one room for the most part and wanted something over the top popped in for some sort of effect he wanted.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovetheusers View Post
    It's part of a genre of films tarantino is trying to copy. In this case he's probably working off of something like lone wolf and cub where the Gore was ridiculous with blood fountains, etc. Honestly IMO you're right about it in this film, IRS not called for. That said he is shooting a film all in one room for the most part and wanted something over the top popped in for some sort of effect he wanted.

It's not irs. Dumb phone.