Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Happy with where Disney is going with Star Wars

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

Happy with where Disney is going with Star Wars

I have to assume at some point a bunch of people were sitting around at Disney and noticed how well doing endless super hero movies has been going. Would it be possible to replicate that success somehow? Somebody must have noticed that Star Wars is essentially a super hero movie. "I have an idea. Let's buy Star Wars. We can't screw things up any worse than Lucas did with Hayden Christensen and the upside is enormous if we do well."

Sure enough, The Force Awakens was very well received by the average movie goer and it set box office records. I assumed episode eight would be the next movie made but that is not the case. Instead, they are going to take a break and go back to just prior to episode four. If you have not yet seen the trailer, the link is below. I am excited already.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3748528/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1

By the way, since my title mentions how happy I am with Disney, I am sure somebody will counter with something Disney did wrong with the movie. Actually, I have to admit I did not find it perfect either but I certainly liked it a LOT. My only real complaint is that they deviated away from the facts already established in the Star Wars universe during the writing of countless books. The two most notable deviations would be Han and Leia's son "Ben". In the books they did have three kids but it was Luke's kid who was named Ben. Also, in the books, Chewbacca dies prior to episode seven.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    It all depends on what is interpreted as Star Wars canon. I don't know who the nerds are that get to decide that.

I thought the story of Force Awakens was weak and full of plot holes. It felt rushed and the story telling incomplete. I liked it enough that I will still refer to J.J. Abrams by name and not Jar Jar Abrams but it was close. Obviously the movie is set up to be a trilogy but that should have afforded some time to better explain things are at least drop better hints on things to come.

Since the next movie is a stand alone, I am thinking it will be much better.
    "But I got it because I'm an iSheep who needs to have all my stuff have an Apple logo on it."

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Larommi View Post
    It all depends on what is interpreted as Star Wars canon. I don't know who the nerds are that get to decide that.

I thought the story of Force Awakens was weak and full of plot holes. It felt rushed and the story telling incomplete. I liked it enough that I will still refer to J.J. Abrams by name and not Jar Jar Abrams but it was close. Obviously the movie is set up to be a trilogy but that should have afforded some time to better explain things are at least drop better hints on things to come.

Since the next movie is a stand alone, I am thinking it will be much better.
    Well, in so far as what is canonical or not, I can't say I care much. YC has seen it in theaters 3 times, and I bought it for her as soon as it was released. I've watched it twice now with conflicting feelings.

The first time through, I thought it was way too much of a homage (I think that's French for ripoff) of the original movie. I understood the rationale behind this, but I still kept asking myself questions like, "The First Order? Who the Hell are these guys and how did they get so powerful?" I found Finn's character unlikely, Rey's progress in mastering the Force too rapid and too easy, and I also didn't much care for Darth Weanie.

The second time I watched it, I just turned off some of my judgmental functions, and found I enjoyed the movie a lot more by just taking the film on its own terms and setting aside my preconceptions and expectations. That made it a lot more fun.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Larommi View Post
    Obviously the movie is set up to be a trilogy but that should have afforded some time to better explain things are at least drop better hints on things to come.
    Keep watching it. I saw it three or four times at the theater, one or two times a little while later, and once in the last week since I bought the Blu-ray. I think I pick up on something new each time.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I enjoyed the heck out of it when we saw it. Fun flick. It isn't like the others were high brow enough to think about too hard.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Yeah, I didn't like the newest one. Hated it for the most part. physical stunts and fight scenes sucked. Badguy wasn't nearly as powerful as he should have been, storyline was weak...just didn't like it at all.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Semper Fi View Post
    ...just didn't like it at all.
    Oh wow, big surprise there. Semper didn't like something. Semper doesn't like anything!
    When you're left out of the club, you know it. When you're in the club, you don't see what the problem is.

I am Green-Eyed.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    North bay, we haven't resorted to insults in years. what give?

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Semper Fi View Post
    North bay, we haven't resorted to insults in years. what give?
    I dunno, your comment just struck me that way.

Didn't mean it to be insulting tho...
    When you're left out of the club, you know it. When you're in the club, you don't see what the problem is.

I am Green-Eyed.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by northbayteky View Post
    I dunno, your comment just struck me that way.

Didn't mean it to be insulting tho...
    We all respect your intelligence and creativity. If you had meant to be insulting, it would have been a much better insult.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!