Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you do many Windows 7 builds anymore?

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinnacle-Project View Post
    This looks like it has good potential. The second link above specifically addresses how slowly Windows checks for available updates. I decided to run this patch first. The first thing it does is check to see what updates have been installed. I started it around 7:00 last night. Twelve hours later, it was still churning away this morning. Maybe by the time I get home from work it will have made some progress.

I suppose I could put Windows 10 on this old laptop. The thing is, if I switch to Windows 10 I want it to be because I WANT Windows 10 not because I felt FORCED into Windows 10. Hopefully, I will make some progress tonight which will enable me to keep this old laptop on Windows 7.

Thanks for the links.
    I ran that specific update before and it does help. you have to pull the network cable though before you run it, otherwise you're in the same situation waiting for hours / days while it checks for updates. Another option that has worked for me in the past was to set the automatic update to occur sooner (like 1pm if it's 12:30pm while I'm working on the computer) for some reason automatic updates seem to not get hung up by the endless checking loop.

I had forgotten about these tricks until just now and will try them this morning on the computer I'm working on.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    This looks like it has good potential. The second link above specifically addresses how slowly Windows checks for available updates. I decided to run this patch first. The first thing it does is check to see what updates have been installed. I started it around 7:00 last night. Twelve hours later, it was still churning away this morning. Maybe by the time I get home from work it will have made some progress.
    WOW! I started the patch at 7:00 PM on April 20. Now, 7:00 AM on April 22 I see it finally finished looking for updates sometime while I was sleeping last night. Good grief!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Oh great, just when I thought I was accomplishing something, this is what I got.

Some updates were not installed.
    The following updates were not installed:
    Update for Windows (KB3102810)

Strange. I went to do a shutdown and now it says, installing update 202 of 204. Maybe I am accomplishing something after all.
    Last edited by Pinnacle-Project; 04-22-2016 at 11:34 AM.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    WOW! I started the patch at 7:00 PM on April 20. Now, 7:00 AM on April 22 I see it finally finished looking for updates sometime while I was sleeping last night. Good grief!
    same story for me. I finally have updates that were installed over night.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Oh great, just when I thought I was accomplishing something, this is what I got.

Some updates were not installed.
    The following updates were not installed:
    Update for Windows (KB3102810)

Strange. I went to do a shutdown and now it says, installing update 202 of 204. Maybe I am accomplishing something after all.
    Yeah, the uninstalled updates usually just require a reboot to complete installation. Scary and misleading, but just another one of Win7 updates warts.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Slgrieb, you saved the day. I did this patch first.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3102810

As mentioned in a previous post, it took a couple days but it was successful. Then, I did the other patch you mentioned in your previous post. Since then, it has been smooth sailing.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Pinnacle-Project; 04-23-2016 at 01:06 AM.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by 74AD View Post
    I ran that specific update before and it does help. you have to pull the network cable though before you run it, otherwise you're in the same situation waiting for hours / days while it checks for updates. Another option that has worked for me in the past was to set the automatic update to occur sooner (like 1pm if it's 12:30pm while I'm working on the computer) for some reason automatic updates seem to not get hung up by the endless checking loop.

I had forgotten about these tricks until just now and will try them this morning on the computer I'm working on.
    You're right. I should have remembered to tell Pinnacle to disconnect from the network before installing the patches. Oops!
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    My 6 year old has been working on trying to install every Windows OS he can find. 7 didn't seem to give him any problem but he did have issues with installing XP on his Laptop

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Overdrv View Post
    My 6 year old has been working on trying to install every Windows OS he can find. 7 didn't seem to give him any problem but he did have issues with installing XP on his Laptop
    If it's pretty new hardware, I'd imagine that drivers would certainly be an issue.
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I would recommend you to upgrade to Windows 10-I mean, If your computer can handle it, I don't know what kind of computer do you have.