Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you do many Windows 7 builds anymore?

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

Do you do many Windows 7 builds anymore?

I have done several Windows 7 builds recently and with each, I had problems with Windows Update not working. I have had problems with Windows Update in the past but not very often. There are a few tools available from Microsoft which I have used with mixed success.

I am beginning to think these problems are not an accident. The frequent messages in Windows 7 encouraging upgrades to Windows 10 makes it pretty clear what Microsoft wants. I bet the problems with Windows Update are a known problem with Microsoft but they are ignoring them in hopes people will get frustrated and upgrade to Windows 10.

What do you think?

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I have had the same issue with windows 7 and updates (not working or taking as long as 24 hours to download the list of updates)
    I've mostly given in and given up on 7 and have been building 10 for the most part lately.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Windows 7 updates are a complete nightmare, but I'd rather put up with that than be forced to upgrade so stuff em.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I don't do much with pc's on a daily basis any more, but I did get a new computer ready for my dad's church the other week and it took all night to download window 7 updates.....guess it makes sense now.
    "Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free." - Jim Morrison

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    The only Win7 builds I've done recently are for a couple of clients with software that doesn't work well with 10, and there aren't upgrades currently available for 10. BTW, ever wonder why financial service companies are hacked so often? It because they are always years behind the curve when it comes to security and software updates.

On a Win7 build you can mitigate the pain of updating by installing a couple of patches for the Windows Updater:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3083710

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3102810

This makes updating 7 much quicker. Install them from a pen drive or whatever before you run Windows Update for the first time. But, still, there's like 6 1/2 years of updates, so it still isn't pretty.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    All of my business clients are on 7. There is one VP who has a 10 laptop. I have one client who has a xp laptop that runs salesmen commission software that would cost them thousands of dollars to replace. It is not connected to the internet

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I've had several friends and agents at work whose Win7 machines just decided to start doing these updates in the middle of the work day even when they are sched for 3 AM. It happened to my work unit too. Again, just decided to start doing this. Can't do anything else; system is hung if you try to stop it. And you don't really want to stop it; you want to let it finish but you got things to do NOW! But NOOOOOO!!! Please wait while we configure Windows. And then that little donut spins around making you think that hey, maybe something's happening. But NOOOOOOO!!! How long do you wait? Almost as bad as Win98SE.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    So because of one location running older software and a specific model of machine being discontinued, I am building a 7 image as we speak. As predicted it's stuck at "checking for updates" I'm putting the over/under on it actually completing at 17 hours.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Maybe this will help you some?

http://www.infoworld.com/article/305...rpt_2016-04-21

I don't know. The only place I have trouble with Windows Updates is with my WSUS server. When it was on a 2003 server, I had very little problems, until the server ran out of space. Even once we resolved that issue, pushing updates was pretty regular. Until we added 2012 servers. They do not get the group polices consistently and they never communicated with the server. So I upgraded the WSUS to server 2012. So now I have different problems. Like WSUS likes to stop communicating and then the clients get errors trying to update.
    When you're left out of the club, you know it. When you're in the club, you don't see what the problem is.

I am Green-Eyed.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb View Post
    The only Win7 builds I've done recently are for a couple of clients with software that doesn't work well with 10, and there aren't upgrades currently available for 10. BTW, ever wonder why financial service companies are hacked so often? It because they are always years behind the curve when it comes to security and software updates.

On a Win7 build you can mitigate the pain of updating by installing a couple of patches for the Windows Updater:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3083710

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3102810

This makes updating 7 much quicker. Install them from a pen drive or whatever before you run Windows Update for the first time. But, still, there's like 6 1/2 years of updates, so it still isn't pretty.

This looks like it has good potential. The second link above specifically addresses how slowly Windows checks for available updates. I decided to run this patch first. The first thing it does is check to see what updates have been installed. I started it around 7:00 last night. Twelve hours later, it was still churning away this morning. Maybe by the time I get home from work it will have made some progress.

I suppose I could put Windows 10 on this old laptop. The thing is, if I switch to Windows 10 I want it to be because I WANT Windows 10 not because I felt FORCED into Windows 10. Hopefully, I will make some progress tonight which will enable me to keep this old laptop on Windows 7.

Thanks for the links.