Quote Originally Posted by Pinnacle-Project View Post
This looks like it has good potential. The second link above specifically addresses how slowly Windows checks for available updates. I decided to run this patch first. The first thing it does is check to see what updates have been installed. I started it around 7:00 last night. Twelve hours later, it was still churning away this morning. Maybe by the time I get home from work it will have made some progress.

I suppose I could put Windows 10 on this old laptop. The thing is, if I switch to Windows 10 I want it to be because I WANT Windows 10 not because I felt FORCED into Windows 10. Hopefully, I will make some progress tonight which will enable me to keep this old laptop on Windows 7.

Thanks for the links.
I ran that specific update before and it does help. you have to pull the network cable though before you run it, otherwise you're in the same situation waiting for hours / days while it checks for updates. Another option that has worked for me in the past was to set the automatic update to occur sooner (like 1pm if it's 12:30pm while I'm working on the computer) for some reason automatic updates seem to not get hung up by the endless checking loop.

I had forgotten about these tricks until just now and will try them this morning on the computer I'm working on.