Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dallas Police SHootings

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by 74AD View Post
    I agree but when I make this point from the flip side by saying well "if all of this is true (it being illegal won't stop anyone etc) why do we have any drug laws and regulations should we just have drugs be completely unregulated like we want guns?" I get told I'm comparing apples to oranges. I don't think I am though.
    Again, it is about reducing the demand.

They have reduced smoking without banning tobacco or making crazy laws.

One of the biggest ways this was done was by removing it from the media (movies, TV, etc) and curtailing advertising. Advertising of tobacco is more or less completely banned from magazines. Joe Camel is not allowed.

Look at movies and TV shows from the beginning to about the mid to late 80's. Almost every actor and actress smoked. There was a reason for that and a reason tobacco companies used to sponsor shows.
    "But I got it because I'm an iSheep who needs to have all my stuff have an Apple logo on it."

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Larommi View Post
    Again, it is about reducing the demand.

They have reduced smoking without banning tobacco or making crazy laws.

One of the biggest ways this was done was by removing it from the media (movies, TV, etc) and curtailing advertising. Advertising of tobacco is more or less completely banned from magazines. Joe Camel is not allowed.

Look at movies and TV shows from the beginning to about the mid to late 80's. Almost every actor and actress smoked. There was a reason for that and a reason tobacco companies used to sponsor shows.
    I don't see any reason why we shouldn't regulate guns the same way we regulate tobacco and automobiles. You have to be of age to buy tobacco and the manufacturers have strict regulations regarding advertising. You have to prove competency to operate a motor vehicle, because without competency, you're more likely to kill someone.
    When you're left out of the club, you know it. When you're in the club, you don't see what the problem is.

I am Green-Eyed.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by northbayteky View Post
    I don't see any reason why we shouldn't regulate guns the same way we regulate tobacco and automobiles. You have to be of age to buy tobacco and the manufacturers have strict regulations regarding advertising. You have to prove competency to operate a motor vehicle, because without competency, you're more likely to kill someone.
    exactly.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by northbayteky View Post
    I don't see any reason why we shouldn't regulate guns the same way we regulate tobacco and automobiles. You have to prove competency to operate a motor vehicle, because without competency, you're more likely to kill someone.
    I have zero problems with that, and I'd go one step further - to be allowed to carry (outside your home) you must log X range hours every Y years and obtain a certain score on a re-qualifying test.
    And then add harsh penalties for unlicensed possession/carry - like mandatory fine and leave jail as an option

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by CeeBee View Post
    I have zero problems with that, and I'd go one step further - to be allowed to carry (outside your home) you must log X range hours every Y years and obtain a certain score on a re-qualifying test.
    And then add harsh penalties for unlicensed possession/carry - like mandatory fine and leave jail as an option
    Just ban carrying. I can think of not a single reason whatsoever to carry a gun outside of a range or hunt grounds.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazzak View Post
    Just ban carrying.
    That's the classic case of: "Then only the bad guys will have guns...and carrying."

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Just ban carrying. I can think of not a single reason whatsoever to carry a gun outside of a range or hunt grounds.
    Being in remote areas is a good enough reason. If I'm going on a trail I try to pack some heat. Not only bad guys, but animals too. Hell last year there was a bear in the area, even visited some yards - once reported right near my house.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by JaxSon View Post
    the bad guys
    Quote Originally Posted by CeeBee View Post
    Not only bad guys
    And there you have the issue. In your whole lives how many times has a gun got you out trouble with the "bad guys". It's nonsensical but you can't see it.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    And there you have the issue. In your whole lives how many times has a gun got you out trouble with the "bad guys". It's nonsensical but you can't see it.
    I've had two instances when I wish I had one but didn't.
    In one my karate (which I was practicing) skills saved my ass, in the other I decided it was safer to get my face lightly swollen than end up worse by fighting back.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    200% agree. We've convinced ourselves that someone is always out to get us. We look for the BAD before we look for the GOOD in both situations and people