Thread: Need some interview questions

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

Need some interview questions

Help!

I've been pulled into an interview tomorrow to ask some "techie" questions. The job is to support our web based solution for end users who have issues. I've been asked to come up with some technical questions to ask the candidate. I won't see the resume until 9am tomorrow, the interview is at 10am. I'm just looking for some very general stuff to ask to see if he/she can think fast.

Anything you can add would be much appreciated as I've not had to do this before.

I'm thinking of the following:

An end user has an urgent issue where they can't get to their online data, you've not seen this issue before and don't have an immediate solution. How do you advise them?
    Looking to see if they can think on their feet.

A user complains that they can't download a file as the disk is full. What could you advise?
    Basic PC knowledge.

That's about all I have at the minute, I've not had to do this before and I don't want to ask anything "stupid".

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    since it's web based, I would say "You receive calls from lots of users stating they cannot get to the web based solution, You are able to verify that it is indeed down walk me through your troubleshooting process"
    this should give a good idea of understanding of pcs / servers / web servers / networking etc" and I would expect that this should open up to allow the interview-ee to ask some relevant questions that show they have some technical knowledge. questions like "Is the server a physical or virtual machine? what platform is the solution built on (windows linux etc) what webserver and version runs it.

you could also modify that question and say the user says they aren't able to reach the solution but other users can. how would you troubleshoot this" See where they start. First thing I would do is ask if they have email access and general internet access to verify network connectivity....

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    First and only question: "Describe a situation in which you bribed an interviewer to get a position."

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Deity View Post
    First and only question: "Describe a situation in which you bribed an interviewer to get a position."
    This !!
    "Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free." - Jim Morrison

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Last question in my last interview : Describe how you would construct a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

This was for working in a call center offering tech support.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Why should I hire you?

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by JaxSon View Post
    Last question in my last interview : Describe how you would construct a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.

This was for working in a call center offering tech support.
    Seems like an odd question at first, but I guess I can see value to it. A lot of times people have the know how to do something, but being able to put that into words to walk somebody else through the process isn't a skill everybody has.
    "Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free." - Jim Morrison

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by 3fingersalute View Post
    Seems like an odd question at first, but I guess I can see value to it. A lot of times people have the know how to do something, but being able to put that into words to walk somebody else through the process isn't a skill everybody has.
    Yes, that's it exactly. He even closed his eyes while listening to me describe it.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate