Thread: Strange USPS routing

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

Strange USPS routing

I think the USPS has improved greatly over the years. While they are not perfect, I do think they offer a lot of bang for the buck when it comes to delivering packages.

When I buy something, I track the package to see where it is and when it will be to me. The other day, I bought a book on ebay. The seller is here in Grand Rapids but I did not bother asking if local pickup was available because I thought my time was worth more than the $5.01 it was going to cost to ship it to me. The seller is 25 miles from me. They are on the east side of Grand Rapids and I am on the west side. The package did not show up today so I tracked it. The package is in Pennsylvania. Huh?????? I realize the post office routes a lot of packages through Warrendale but it seems like common sense would prevail and this one would have never left Grand Rapids. The package is scheduled to be delivered on December 28 - a week after it was mailed to me from the other side of town.

Just for fun, I should mail a package via Media Mail to my neighbor. I wonder if that would still go to Pennsylvania.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Sometimes stuff just gets screwed up. I once had a UPS package that was delivered in three different cities in two different states (neither of them Texas). Long before UPS actually got it to my door, I had already replaced the order, gotten a credit for the stray merchandise, and so I refused the delivery when it showed up after about 3 weeks lost in the ozone.

But, I've experienced one truly epic fail with the postal service. Last year a client mailed me a check that was postmarked March 3rd, and I received it on November 11.

Still, when I recently had to send some stuff to EC in Hawaii, I used Express mail because it was $60 versus $110 UPS with only a day's diffenence in delivery time.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I've had an email take 28 days from send to making it to the final server.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    They don't sort stuff local anymore. I will have to check, but I beleive my water bill that is mailed in town, goes to St.Paul MN then comes back to my shithole town in Wi. It probably got mixed in with some X-Mess shit going across state.
    "But I got it because I'm an iSheep who needs to have all my stuff have an Apple logo on it."

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Larommi View Post
    They don't sort stuff local anymore.
    I think this is the key. Probably everything in Grand Rapids gets sent to Warrendale, Pennsylvania without even looking at it. I'm guessing based on previous stuff I have tracked, this is not a mis-sort. It's just the way they do it. Oh well, it's now back in Grand Rapids again.

Grand Rapids to Warrendale (Pittsburgh) to Allen Park (Detroit) to Grand Rapids so far. On Monday, Grand Rapids will probably give it to my suburban post office and then I will get it Tuesday. A lot of travel for something that only needed to go from the east side of Grand Rapids to a suburb on the west side.