Thread: Enough Trump, let's get technical

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

Enough Trump, let's get technical

Here's one for you smart bast*rds.

We have a new 40mbps, (each way), ADSL line coming in to our office, totally separate from our corporate network. Without going into too much detail, there are 5 departments that want a share of this new line. Our plan is to give each department 5mbps up and down, (adjustable), and their own IP range to use, (EG 192.168.10.x, 192.168.20.x etc). However, the router we're getting delivered is way to simple to be able to do that.

Does anyone know of a solution we can use to achieve this? We also intend to monitor very closely the traffic, so that would also need to be included. We have spare hardware so can easily put a linux box between them and the ADSL line if required.

I'm looking into this myself, but as always, like to throw up the odd technical question to keep the politics at bay for a while.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    get a better router that will allow QoS settings and determine bandwith usage from there. Cisco has pretty robust settings.
    Last edited by Larommi; 01-17-2017 at 02:56 PM.
    "But I got it because I'm an iSheep who needs to have all my stuff have an Apple logo on it."

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Larommi View Post
    get a better router that will allow QoS settings and determine bandwith usage from there. Cisco has pretty robust settings.
    Yeah, a decent firewall should allow for this. We do this in a lot of our satellite offices using Juniper SRX series and bandwidth limiting on vlans.
    "Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free." - Jim Morrison

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Larommi View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 3fingersalute View Post
    Yeah, a decent firewall should allow for this. We do this in a lot of our satellite offices using Juniper SRX series and bandwidth limiting on vlans.
    Yep, think this is definitely the way to go. QoS allows bandwidth to be limited by MAC or IP, so we can work with this. Cheers.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazzak View Post
    Yep, think this is definitely the way to go. QoS allows bandwidth to be limited by MAC or IP, so we can work with this. Cheers.
    We don't get quite that granular, but we do limit by vlan. We do it mostly because we offer "public" wireless at all of our locations and want to make sure facebookers/youtubers/etc. don't eat up all the bandwidth preventing our staff from getting work done.
    "Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free." - Jim Morrison