Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Hello

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

Hello

Hello. I just had this thought that maybe I'd stop by here and write an update and see how things are going around here.

Updates for me:
    - Personal life: I am now married and live in a really cool apartment with a rooftop deck and I completed my A.S. degree and my company is closing down at the end of March and we got a new kitten and we experienced a tragic event in early 2016.
    - Political: Trump is now president so I guess the earth is doomed.
    - Cell phone: Currently on iPhone 6s Plus but I am seriously tempted to get a Google Pixel -- but will probably just stay in the Apple universe for now.
    - Computer: Still Macbook Pro from 2014 and a couple of junky Windows laptops.
    - Sports: Montana is still GOAT. He never lost, never cheated, never did performance enhancing drugs and was a game changer when he reinvented the game with West Coast Offense with Bill Walsh. Brady has some big stats but really didn't change the game. Good Super Bowl though. Falcons really choked in the second half.
    - And I'm currently learning Python.

Updates for you:
    - So what's happening with people here?

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Congrats on getting married.
    "But I got it because I'm an iSheep who needs to have all my stuff have an Apple logo on it."

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Married??? What were you thinking???

Jk...
    Congrats

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Congratulations on the marriage, the new kitten, your AS degree and condolences on the tragic event and your company closing. Hope you have some good prospects. The bay area has been picking up and I've been seeing a TON of job openings in your area.

I'm still in the same house, my kids are grown but still living at home. But they are both great. Son is working at Starbucks (for over a year now) and *finally* sees that he needs to use his brain in his career and is motivated in that direction. Daughter is doing wonderful as well. She's just as beautiful as ever, and is also going to college and working. Her goal is to be a director/cinematographer and is planning to transfer to San Francisco State. I am so proud of both of them (obvi)

My cellphone contract is up in a few days so I think we are planning to just wait until the Galaxy 8 comes out. I saw a preview, but I'm disappointed it doesn't have the edge feature. I was kinda looking forward to that.

We had that Montana conversation at work the other day. I hadn't quite thought of his stats in those terms, so yeah, I'd have to say he's still GOAT.

Retirement: I spend a lot of time thinking about it, wish I could afford to, etc. But I did manage to hang in the AF Reserve long enough to retire and now I'm old enough to collect. Well, in a few days. So I am considering getting a new car. I swore off petroleum, so no hybrid for me. But electrics don't have much range. Except the Te$la. So that's the quandary.

I'm learning on the job, which kind of sucks.

I haven't been reading as much as I'd like. I met Nicholas Sparks in October and got his new book, but since he signed it, I can't read *that* book. Which is Two by Two. Terry Goodkind has a new series out that is a spin off of the Seeker of Truth series. It's the 1st in The Nicci Chronicles. I've been missing the Richard and Kahlan story line, so this looks promising for filling that void. But I've had it (from the library) for a week and it's due back in 2, so I need to get busy on that.

Next...
    When you're left out of the club, you know it. When you're in the club, you don't see what the problem is.

I am Green-Eyed.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Thanks all. Geez. Where does the time go?

GE, that's great about your kids. Working and getting school done and stuff. Perfect! I sense they have a nice future ahead of them.

And good point. I forgot to write what I'm reading lately. Mostly comic books. Here's the short version of the story: My iPad mini is basically useless now so it just stays put away. I got a gift card from Amazon for $75 so figured I'd get a Kindle Fire HD 8 to replace the iPad. Pretty nice. Not exactly an iPad replacement but gets the job done for reading books and comic books. So now I'm reading more comics than ever because they make it so easy. That whole Injustice series is interesting.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Wow, a blast from the past. Nice to hear from you Webby. Congratulations on Marriage. It doesn't seem that long ago we were hearing tales of the couch!

Life for me is fine and dandy thank you. I had a major health scare last year which I'm through the other side of now, (but I have a cocktail of tablets I need to take for life).
    My eldest child started studying history at University, decided it wasn't for her so gave it up and next year is going to do a fine art degree, (she currently works at the National Gallery in London).
    I've completely dumped Apple and am now 100% happy with my Android phone, the Wife is now a convert as well.
    My job is mundane but the hours and flexibility is great, I get to see the family so much that I can put up with a cr*ppy job for now.
    Sport: My soccer team now plays in the English Premier League, I see the best teams in the land play, and I have the best seats! (we lost to Manchester United today)
    I now cycle everywhere as much as possible and I'm starting to fall in love with my bike.

It's pretty dead here.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Congratulations on the marriage!

I will celebrate my 24th anniversary this year. I started donating plasma at Biolife a few months ago and am saving every cent in preparation for a big 25th anniversary trip. We are not sure where yet. Maybe Peru?

I am still responsible for a training program in which we train people with significant disabilities to pass the CompTIA A+ certification. Most people get jobs with our partner, some go elsewhere. Non-profit funding is always fun so sometimes I think I should start looking elsewhere before I lose my job.

My oldest is in her senior year of high school. She has narrowed down the schools to two. At one, she will be a liberal arts major with a Hindi language minor. At the other, she will be an international affairs major with a Japanese language minor. With either school, she will combine her education with the Air Force ROTC program.

A year and a half ago, we moved into a larger house. I love the new house and pretty much have the basement to do with as I please. I am slowly building a nice shop. I still drive my 2003 Toyota Tundra. It has 190,000 miles and continues to go strong. I love that truck.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Webbie, you've certainly got a lot going on in your life these days, and most of it sounds good. Congratulations! Also good to hear from you, even if you are an Apple guy.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Thanks again all. I'm enjoying reading everyone's updates.

Gazzak, I'm sorry to hear you have to take a bunch of medication now but I'm glad you're here to tell the story.

Pinnacle, that's awesome about your daughters doing so well in school. I always enjoy hearing about younger generations doing something positive with their life. Really cool.

Slgrieb, thanks. Glad to hear from you too.

Life these days is pretty crazy.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I'm 58 in May. Scaled business down to one guy picking up and delivering computers, and myself and a full timer doing onsite work and repair of the picked up pcs. Much more time with family, and just about the same income. But a ton of less headaches. Grandchild number nine due in a few days. So many concerts, sporting games to attend.

Just got my CCW. Getting too old to feel comfortable about defending myself. Been shooting since I was 20.

Webby, I am happy for you. Any little spiders in the future?

Gazzak, so sorry to hear about the medications.

Pinnacle 24 years. I'm on 22. I'm on the menopause train express, I keep pulling the cord, but it won't stop so I can get off....