Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Removing Window Tint

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

Removing Window Tint

My daughter bought her first car last week. It has window tint film on the rear window and on the back door windows. I checked the Internet for tips regarding how to remove it (she does not like it and it is less necessary in Michigan than southern states). It seemed pretty simple so armed with a hair dryer, I attempted to remove it today. The film started to come off fairly easily but it left the adhesive behind. I stopped after removing about 15% of the film off the rear window since it was not going well.

Any ideas of how to get the adhesive to come off with the film? Maybe I need to wait for warmer weather. It was 40 degrees today. It does not seem like that would matter since I was using a hair dryer but maybe I was not doing a sufficient job heating the film and doing this on a hot day would work better. Any thoughts? Anybody had this problem before and successfully solved it?

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I've never removed window tint, but anything I ever try to remove with adhesive I wait for the warmest possible day, the more heat the better!
    "Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free." - Jim Morrison

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    A paint stripper gun will get hot enough... :P
    "But I got it because I'm an iSheep who needs to have all my stuff have an Apple logo on it."

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Larommi View Post
    A paint stripper gun will get hot enough... :P
    And probably crack the glass...

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I had to do this a few years ago because Texas passed a law that required removing window tint from the front side windows. I bought a clothing steamer and used it to peal off the film. It took off the tint and also removed most of the adhesive. The bit of glue left behind was easy to remove with glass cleaner and a plastic windshield scraper. Automotive glass is really soft, so you don't want to use a razor blade on it. If you are working around a rear window defroster, you have to be especially careful and don't cut the wires.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Goof-Off will probably take the adhesive off. I had to have my tint removed from my truck when the geniuses put on a darker tint than I asked for because it looked nicer. Yeah, it looked nicer but is illegal and I don't want to pay for it and then have to scrape it off. Derr.
    "But I got it because I'm an iSheep who needs to have all my stuff have an Apple logo on it."

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb View Post
    I bought a clothing steamer and used it to peal off the film. It took off the tint and also removed most of the adhesive. The bit of glue left behind was easy to remove with glass cleaner and a plastic windshield scraper. Automotive glass is really soft, so you don't want to use a razor blade on it. If you are working around a rear window defroster, you have to be especially careful and don't cut the wires.
    My next attempt will be with a wallpaper steamer. It seems like that would work similarly to the clothing steamer. If I had a clothes steamer, I would try that too but I do not have one (yet).

Quote Originally Posted by Larommi View Post
    Goof-Off will probably take the adhesive off. I had to have my tint removed from my truck when the geniuses put on a darker tint than I asked for because it looked nicer. Yeah, it looked nicer but is illegal and I don't want to pay for it and then have to scrape it off. Derr.
    That was my thought too. Goof-Off takes off everything. Oh wait, actually it takes off everything but this adhesive.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Bug and tar cleaner might work. I have not tried it myself but if it takes off tar, some glue might clean off. Plus it is handy to have around if it does not work.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    This looks good as to using the sun and a black plastic bag to heat up the window with the sun...then ammonia on the inside to soften the film. Never done it, but it looks promising...

http://www.wikihow.com/Remove-Window-Tint

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Keep the tint moist with ammonia as you strip.
    Use a razor blade to scrape off any tint that did not peel.
    Remove any residual adhesive with ammonia and very fine steel wool.
    Wipe the surface with a paper towel before it dries.
    Clean the window thoroughly with glass cleaner.