Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Thinking of starting a small business IT consulting

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    Most of the jobs around here are DevOps/SRE type roles.
    That's the new trend. The days of infrastructure guys setting up servers that programmers configure will soon be gone. The new trend is developing apps that are packaged for deployment anywhere, could be the on-premise server or a cloud service.
    The days of "it's working on my computer" will soon be gone...

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by CeeBee View Post
    There is a new player on the field and it's directly chewing into the EC2 user base... AWS Lambda, server-less web services.. on-demand computing billed to the 0.1 second.
    The advantage for Amazon is that they provide the same computing power with fewer resources, no need for some apps to sit on top of an OS multiplied across tens of thousands of VMs.
    As a developer I would just setup the app, upload my code to the service and it's ready to serve 1 client/day or 1 million clients per hour, no need to worry about load balancing and adding extra resources ahead of a major national campaign.
    That is so awesome. It's amazing how easy AWS makes everything now. Heck, I can bring up an entire solution with just my keyboard. Gone are the days of doing back breaking work setting up physical servers, etc. Pretty amazing. And this has been around and growing all these years. I'm just now discovering it. I wish I would've jumped on this bandwagon in the beginning.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by CeeBee View Post
    That's the new trend. The days of infrastructure guys setting up servers that programmers configure will soon be gone. The new trend is developing apps that are packaged for deployment anywhere, could be the on-premise server or a cloud service.
    The days of "it's working on my computer" will soon be gone...
    Oh yeah. There seems to be only 2 things that are needed these days: 1> Rack and Stackers and 2> DevOps/SRE. Nothing else really matters anymore. I mean, I guess at the other end, the third thing that is needed are people to consume the content on their mobile devices. But otherwise, it's all pretty basic now.