Total Points
    Donate

Multipeer Connectivity Framework

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    [QUOTE] It

Forum bug: back quote terminates a post.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    It's going to change everything. Here's why.
    It's not going to change anything. Here's why:
    -It requires a huge density of apple products - it would work in Grand Central terminal or in a crowded office building, but that's about it.
    -nobody really uses an iproduct without a cellular subscription. Makes no sense. So internet is available virtually all the time.
    -if internet is not available for a device because of lack of cell signal, it is likely going to be unavailable for the entire swarm. Bluetooth has a max range of about 20ft, and that is generous.
    -opening inbound ports is inherently dangerous.
    -on top of it, it requires a high percentage of people to have the enabling app.

Mesh connectivity isn't new, it has been used in sensors deployment for some time (see ZigBee)

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    LOL.

Yeah, I was reading about this FireChat app. I don't know much about it yet (thanks for the links above by the way). Should be interesting to see what happens with this (if anything). The first thing that popped in my mind though was, "If people have to be that close to chat, then why not just talk to each other?" So we'll see.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by CeeBee View Post
    It's not going to change anything. Here's why:
    -It requires a huge density of apple products - it would work in Grand Central terminal or in a crowded office building, but that's about it.
    -nobody really uses an iproduct without a cellular subscription. Makes no sense. So internet is available virtually all the time.
    -if internet is not available for a device because of lack of cell signal, it is likely going to be unavailable for the entire swarm. Bluetooth has a max range of about 20ft, and that is generous.
    -opening inbound ports is inherently dangerous.
    -on top of it, it requires a high percentage of people to have the enabling app.

Mesh connectivity isn't new, it has been used in sensors deployment for some time (see ZigBee)
    Right. Except for all the millions of Macbooks, WiFi only iPads, iPods and Apple TV's,... nobody is really using Apple much. So true.[/sarcasm]

The technology is never new. None of the stuff we use is new. Heck, when Steve Jobs introduced the iPhone it was nothing new. It's in how it's used and the application of it that is the new thing. We had an engineer here at my company years ago who spent years trying to develop ZigBee mesh network stuff for the automotive application we do. It never lifted off the ground. But a near range chat application that doesn't require Internet? That would be HUGE among kids. So never say never.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Apple sucks.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    Right. Except for all the millions of Macbooks, WiFi only iPads, iPods and Apple TV's,... nobody is really using Apple much. So true.[/sarcasm]
    To reach the internet you still need an internet-connected device. Bluetooth is very limited in bandwidth, so you can't do more than transmitting small data. And then there is the range issue. And it's much easier to turn on the wifi hotspot feature..

We had an engineer here at my company years ago who spent years trying to develop ZigBee mesh network stuff for the automotive application we do. It never lifted off the ground. But a near range chat application that doesn't require Internet? That would be HUGE among kids. So never say never.
    Mesh network is more geared to getting some data most of the time. Chat requires internet if only for account authentication.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I just downloaded it. Kinda cool actually. Remember doing like Yahoo chat or something a million years ago? It's like that. People from all over on it. Just a screenname and a message. Super plain vanilla chat. That's under the "Everyone" tab. Or you can click the "Nearby" tab. I guess if anyone is nearby you can chat with them.

EDIT:
    yeah, this is exactly like Yahoo chat from back in the day. In fact, some people are joking doing stuff like, "A/S/L". LOL. Pretty funny.
    Last edited by Webhead; 03-25-2014 at 04:04 AM.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    When I first heard about this app, I didn't think much of it. But after using it for awhile, I think this app has potential to be big. We'll see.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    But after using it for awhile, I think this app has potential to be big. We'll see.
    Bluetooth chat is nothing new, it was somewhat popular in some circles in Europe, has been around for 10+ years and faded away into a niche market as "permanently connected" chat is by far better.
    My bet on it fading away is based in part on the history of all messengers - unless you have a fairly strong authentication and privacy controls, it will be taken on by spammers and bots as soon as it becomes worthwhile.