Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Yamaha Reciever...will i be let down with only 110-120 vs 140-155?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    That wattage comparison is a true apples/oranges issue when you're comparing different brands. But within the same brand, and same lineup, wattage differences are accurate enough to actually mean something. That said, I also appreciate higher wattage systems for lower volume dynamics more than just being able to shift cinderblock's, so for me there is a true benefit of having more power. That said, I don’t want to drop more money if I’m not going to notice the difference. Problem is you can’t find a store in town anymore that demo’s high end receivers…of course they all lost business to internet sales…but I do miss being able to compare side by side without taking home two units…

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    The best way I can explain it is it would be like if every company that made cars had their own idea as to how far one mile is. If Ford said 6000 Feet and GM said 5500 Feet the cars would have completely different readings on the speedos even when traveling at the same speed. With some cheapo computer speakers claiming 320 Watts and a Mono Block Tube Amp Claiming 2 or 3 watts there is no real way to compare accurately.

Other than power are there any other features that you need or want in the higher end model ?

Or save the money and buy better speakers.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    It depends on how big the room is.
    I have a Sony 5.1, 100W/ch and sometimes I turn it very high, but at some point it just feels like a loud noise thanks to the smallish speakers. I know I could go louder with bigger speakers, but probably wouldn't hit the max.
    That being said 100W/ch is plenty for an average room IMHO.
    I know someone who has a 2x500 tube amp with nice big speakers and he can turn it up to the clipping level without making it sound too loud.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I can't imagine you'd hear $600 worth of difference....but that's just a guess. I'd go with the 110W....but then again I can't ever imagine dropping $1100 on a receiver...... :yikes:

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by 74AD View Post
    I can't imagine you'd hear $600 worth of difference....but that's just a guess. I'd go with the 110W....but then again I can't ever imagine dropping $1100 on a receiver...... :yikes:
    Many years ago i picked up a crown DJ amp for my home speakers using the preout on my old receiver. was a 125 watt Pioneer, but from 1993. The PB1 was nice, under $500, but only 200 watts per ch at 8 ohms. just didn't feel that great. I took it back and for about $600 got the PB2 at 325 watts per ch at 8 ohms. What a world of difference less then $200 made. But in the retail world, onkyo, Marantz, sony, they had amps with less juice going for $1500. Of course we're talking about less of a jump here with these Yamahas, hence my concern. I can't reuse the Crown, its rack mount with internal fans, just wouldn't work out in my living room. Plus these speakers aren't rated that high, I’d probably torch them over time.

That crown series: http://www.crownaudio.com/media/pdf/legacy/101229.pdf

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    [QUOTE=Semper Fi;585]Many years ago i picked up a crown DJ amp for my home speakers using the preout on my old receiver. was a 125 watt Pioneer, but from 1993. The PB1 was nice, under $500, but only 200 watts per ch at 8 ohms. just didn't feel that great. I took it back and for about $600 got the PB2 at 325 watts per ch at 8 ohms. What a world of difference less then $200 made. But in the retail world, onkyo, Marantz, sony, they had amps with less juice going for $1500. Of course we're talking about less of a jump here with these Yamahas, hence my concern. I can't reuse the Crown, its rack mount with internal fans, just wouldn't work out in my living room. Plus these speakers aren't rated that high, I

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Try that again OD...you can do it!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    You really can't over power a speaker unless your completely stupid about it. What happens far more often is underpowering a speaker blows it up.

Sorry about the prior post it did something odd and it will not let me change it

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Overdrv View Post
    You really can't over power a speaker unless your completely stupid about it. What happens far more often is underpowering a speaker blows it up.
    How? Really, how?

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Overdrv View Post

Sorry about the prior post it did something odd and it will not let me change it
    this is true and I think most people don't understand this.