Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Bitcoins--Who has any practical experience?

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Well, I'm sure he'll buy that. If CeeBee sez it, it must be true!

Seriously tho, his parents need to show some backbone and get this kid back in school. He used his mom's credit card to purchase one of those GPU's and cooling fans to use on her PC. It has a faster processor than his laptop.

He's on his way to being an absolute loser or a serial killer...I'm not sure which.
    Last edited by JaxSon; 02-26-2014 at 03:58 AM.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by JaxSon View Post

Seriously tho, his parents need to show some backbone and get this kid back in school. He used his mom's credit card to purchase one of those GPU's and cooling fans to use on her PC. It has a faster processor than his laptop.

He's on his way to being an absolute loser or a serial killer...I'm not sure which.
    I've been taking classes and trying to finish my 2 year degree finally. If I have one regret, it's that I didn't just get this done sooner. In my opinion, it's a huge mistake to not just get it done early on.

Administrator
    vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

Sometimes despite the fact you can see the train wreck coming, you just have to let it happen. If you don't allow a kid to fail, they don't learn a damn thing. If the parents want to indulge this kid, no amount of reasonable explanation from you will stop that behaviour or worse, they try it and bollux it up completely further alienating the kid and then you get the blame.

Tell them by all means bitcoin mining is a fools errand, but stop there. The kid will work it out eventually and make his own decision. The more you push someone into doing the right thing the less likely the kid will do the right thing.

If you want to help, just try to be a favourite uncle, ready to talk things through without pressure and allow him to make his own mind up and take his own action. Let's face it, if he is that bad, then in 3 weeks when he hasn't managed to get a single bit coin, he will go on to the next get rich quick without doing any work scheme.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    This is all new to me. I checked into using bit coins once but it looked like too much hassle for what little need I had for them. As for the mining, never heard of it.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinnacle-Project View Post
    This is all new to me. I checked into using bit coins once but it looked like too much hassle for what little need I had for them. As for the mining, never heard of it.
    Apparently it could have been very profitable 5 years but today you'd better own a nuclear power plant - the average cost of electricity used currently exceeds the average payout.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by CeeBee View Post
    Apparently it could have been very profitable 5 years but today you'd better own a nuclear power plant - the average cost of electricity used currently exceeds the average payout.
    Exactly. It's just mathematically not probable that it would ever be worth it at this point in time. I think a person has a better chance of winning the lottery at the moment.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo View Post
    Sometimes despite the fact you can see the train wreck coming, you just have to let it happen. If you don't allow a kid to fail, they don't learn a damn thing. If the parents want to indulge this kid, no amount of reasonable explanation from you will stop that behaviour or worse, they try it and bollux it up completely further alienating the kid and then you get the blame.
    True but hard. Elder Child is doing a 2 year degree plan in computer security, and she's strapped for cash. For years I tried to get her interested in basic computer repair, but she couldn't be bothered. Now, she has a job application in at her college's IT department, and she's found a new love for anything computer related. While she was home on spring break she helped me replace a hard drive in an iMac, install a HSF in an HP Pavillion DV6 and replace an LCD panel in an HP Pavillion DV4. With the exception of the iMac, she did most of the work while I just supervised and gave directions. She also built two new desktops while I supervised. I wish we could have done a malware removal or two, but it didn't happen. Of course the main reason she's poor right now is that she spent most of the money we had put into her college fund on trips last summer. Bummer.
    Last edited by slgrieb; 03-20-2014 at 02:25 AM.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I recently found myself wondering how you were. Did you win you battle with cancer?
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Hey, strange thread to ask about such things but thanks for thinking about me.
    I am a certified cancer survivor! Doc took out a huge tumor in my bladder that was preventing me from peeing. It was awful! But now, I. P. Freely! Doc scoped me about a month ago and gave me the All Clear. Have not had any issues at all and my love life is better than ever.
    So how have you been? Heard you caught Covid. I take it you recovered. So what are your views on getting vaccinated? I've been fully vaccinated for several months now and practically every one I know has been vaccinated.
    Had to go to Mexico on a business trip about a month ago and practically NObody under 50 was vaccinated. But everyone was wearing their face mask and observing social distancing. I was very impressed. Still don't wanna go back anytime soon.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Hey, strange thread to ask about such things but thanks for thinking about me.
    I am a certified cancer survivor! Doc took out a huge tumor in my bladder that was preventing me from peeing. It was awful! But now, I. P. Freely! Doc scoped me about a month ago and gave me the All Clear. Have not had any issues at all and my love life is better than ever.
    So how have you been? Heard you caught Covid. I take it you recovered. So what are your views on getting vaccinated? I've been fully vaccinated for several months now and practically every one I know has been vaccinated.
    Had to go to Mexico on a business trip about a month ago and practically NObody under 50 was vaccinated. But everyone was wearing their face mask and observing social distancing. I was very impressed. Still don't wanna go back anytime soon.
    That is awesome news man!