Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows Server 2008 R2 and 2012 R2

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

Windows Server 2008 R2 and 2012 R2

Is it just me or do the IP addresses in these systems not show up in order? In other words, go to Administrative Tools and launch DNS. Then look at your IP addresses in the forward lookup zone. Now try to sort them in numerical order. Can you do it? Because I sure can't. What am I doing wrong? I googled and this seems to be a bug. Evidently Microsoft was too busy building the metro interface to give us things like a numerical listing of IP addresses. I'm trying to find either a fix or work-around because this is super annoying.

This works fine in 2003 by the way.

Administrator
    vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I can assure you Webby the team that works on Win next is not the Server team.... but that's all I can tell you

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo View Post
    I can assure you Webby the team that works on Win next is not the Server team.... but that's all I can tell you
    Do you have a workaround for this problem? Seems so odd that it won't sort numerically. It's little annoying things like this that are killing MS.

Administrator
    vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    Do you have a workaround for this problem? Seems so odd that it won't sort numerically. It's little annoying things like this that are killing MS.
    can't disagree.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Color me confused, but I'm not sure why this is a big issue. Most of my commercial accounts are small credit unions and banks. A lot of the reports they generate require assigned IP addresses to print, so I use assigned IP addresses throughout the businesses. It takes a bit more time to set it up initially, but once it is done, you only need to look at a simple spreadsheet or printout to identify every machine in the system.

Honestly, if dealing with MS operating system makes you nuts, you clearly aren't spending enough time working with Macs.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb View Post
    Color me confused, but I'm not sure why this is a big issue. Most of my commercial accounts are small credit unions and banks. A lot of the reports they generate require assigned IP addresses to print, so I use assigned IP addresses throughout the businesses. It takes a bit more time to set it up initially, but once it is done, you only need to look at a simple spreadsheet or printout to identify every machine in the system.

Honestly, if dealing with MS operating system makes you nuts, you clearly aren't spending enough time working with Macs.
    That's not an answer. If you went to McDonalds and they served you a cold hamburger, you wouldn't bring it back to the counter and expect them to say, "What's wrong with a cold hamburger? We eat cold hamburgers all the time and are fine with it." Sorry, that doesn't fly. I want to be able to list IP addresses numerically. I used to be able to in WK2K3 and earlier and this is recognized as a bug. It should be fixed. This has nothing to do with Mac computers. I'm talking specifically about Windows Server 2008 R2 and 2012 R2.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I want to be able to list IP addresses numerically. I used to be able to in WK2K3 and earlier and this is recognized as a bug. It should be fixed.
    It's a bug, but it's a minor one. The trend is to move away from GUI tools - especially in large deployments. A powershell script can give you the sorted results and even do a search for a certain parameter.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by CeeBee View Post
    It's a bug, but it's a minor one. The trend is to move away from GUI tools - especially in large deployments. A powershell script can give you the sorted results and even do a search for a certain parameter.
    That's interesting that you say that. I had a feeling something like that was happening when I took my "Windows Server Essentials" class. For years I've gotten accustomed to the traditional Windows Server 2003 GUI. But in the class, they seemed to emphasize PowerShell and more of a stripped down CLI interface. A lot more importance was placed on learning commands. At the time I thought that was kinda strange. But looking back it makes sense now. I assume that must be to complete with Linux and reduce overhead in large enterprise environments. So they probably don't put much effort into the GUI because real sys admins in those environments probably never even look at the GUI.

That's pretty cool. Thanks for the insight. I hadn't thought of it that way before.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    That's not an answer. If you went to McDonalds and they served you a cold hamburger, you wouldn't bring it back to the counter and expect them to say, "What's wrong with a cold hamburger? We eat cold hamburgers all the time and are fine with it." Sorry, that doesn't fly. I want to be able to list IP addresses numerically. I used to be able to in WK2K3 and earlier and this is recognized as a bug. It should be fixed. This has nothing to do with Mac computers. I'm talking specifically about Windows Server 2008 R2 and 2012 R2.
    Actually, that was an answer, and I'm sorry that it didn't fit into your overly anal retentive and OCD view of reality. It hurts me to agree with CeeBee and say this is a pretty minor bug, but if you were to take your head out of your butt and deal with some other operating systems, I promise you that you would encounter plenty of frustrations. It isn't just MS software that can make you crazy.