Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Windows Server 2008 R2 and 2012 R2

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb View Post
    Actually, that was an answer, and I'm sorry that it didn't fit into your overly anal retentive and OCD view of reality. It hurts me to agree with CeeBee and say this is a pretty minor bug, but if you were to take your head out of your butt and deal with some other operating systems, I promise you that you would encounter plenty of frustrations. It isn't just MS software that can make you crazy.
    Ok, everyone just quit judging me and calling me names and calm down for a minute. Everything is going to be fine. Don't take my reply personally. I wanted an answer to something and you told me that you were confused why I wanted that answer. You can't question people that way. Put it this way, if you wanted to know something and did a Google search and Google responded by saying, "Why would you even want to know this?" Would you find that helpful? Or would you be annoyed? Personally, I would be annoyed and keep searching or take my search somewhere else. That is just not the way to respond to someone.

Also, keep in mind that just because you use static IP addresses for your business doesn't mean the rest of the world does it the way you do it. I can't assign a static IP address to a tablet or a phone -- or even a laptop for that matter. I mean, I'm sure there are plenty of ways to do just about anything but I don't want that. I just want my normal DHCP server to assign addresses like any normal network would. And I don't have time to sit there formatting and printing spreadsheets. I thank you for offering the suggestion but it just doesn't solve the problem.

When I go on the server search for the address I want I will always find my address and go about my business, but while I am doing that, I find myself often wondering why the list isn't just in numerical order to way it's always been so that I don't have to look line by line. It's a bug and it's an annoyance but yet it's there. And I know it's a bug and I know there is no fix. But I still have to ask because that is just how I am. I won't rest until a way is found.

That said, running Windows as a core system isn't the answer I wanted either necessarily but it is an answer nonetheless and puts the case to rest (at least in my mind it does). In fact, it's something I need to start thinking about going forward.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    Ok, everyone just quit judging me and calling me names and calm down for a minute. Everything is going to be fine. Don't take my reply personally. I wanted an answer to something and you told me that you were confused why I wanted that answer. You can't question people that way. Put it this way, if you wanted to know something and did a Google search and Google responded by saying, "Why would you even want to know this?" Would you find that helpful? Or would you be annoyed? Personally, I would be annoyed and keep searching or take my search somewhere else. That is just not the way to respond to someone.

Also, keep in mind that just because you use static IP addresses for your business doesn't mean the rest of the world does it the way you do it. I can't assign a static IP address to a tablet or a phone -- or even a laptop for that matter. I mean, I'm sure there are plenty of ways to do just about anything but I don't want that. I just want my normal DHCP server to assign addresses like any normal network would. And I don't have time to sit there formatting and printing spreadsheets. I thank you for offering the suggestion but it just doesn't solve the problem.

When I go on the server search for the address I want I will always find my address and go about my business, but while I am doing that, I find myself often wondering why the list isn't just in numerical order to way it's always been so that I don't have to look line by line. It's a bug and it's an annoyance but yet it's there. And I know it's a bug and I know there is no fix. But I still have to ask because that is just how I am. I won't rest until a way is found.

That said, running Windows as a core system isn't the answer I wanted either necessarily but it is an answer nonetheless and puts the case to rest (at least in my mind it does). In fact, it's something I need to start thinking about going forward.
    I still maintain that you got an answer, even if you didn't like it. CeeBee gave you one as well, and I'm pretty sure you didn't like his response either. Look, I don't want this discussion to be a pissing contest, and I'm well aware that I tend to have an "assholier than thou" attitude, which I actually work very hard to reign in. So, please accept this as a semi-apology.

All the same, a lot of weird computer glitches either don't have a resolution, or have a fix that's so illogical you have to wonder who ever found the fix. Many times, the fix simply isn't worth the effort.

Let me give you a recent example from my own experience. I'm in the middle of replacing the last XP machines at one of my credit unions. Every time the customer tried to connect to one of their data centers using an app that's essentially a customized front end for IE 9 (and no, newer versions aren't supported) we would get a pop up asking to insert the MS Office CD, and then after the CD was inserted, whatever component was trying to install itself would fail because the user profile didn't have administrative rights.

I wasted a couple of hours of non-billable time trying to figure this out, and frankly couldn't. It was an annoyance, but you could just click through the error message and then log into the data center. But I really wanted to figure this out. So finally I called the data centers tech support. They said, "Yeah, we see this a lot. Just open Word on the computer, and you'll never see the error again." Well that seemed pretty counter-intuitive, and I'm pretty sure I made a smart ass remark like, "What, I can't open Excel and fix it?" I was told "No, it has to be Word." So I opened Word, and sure enough, there was never another problem connecting to the data center again. And I've had to do this on every one of the new machines.

So why did this work? I have no clue, and I didn't even ask for an explanation, since it would have likely been exceedingly long, complex, and would have probably left me even crazier than I already am.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Yeah, that would be annoying...

Here's a more visual way of seeing my problem... And keep in mind, this is the very latest version of Windows Server 2012 R2. Brand new all shiny and updated and working great as a domain controller. See, I should be able to just click the button to put them in order. That is the purpose of the button. But the operating system doesn't seem to understand the difference between "15" and "015".

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    It doesn't seem to be wrong, it's sorted correctly as strings.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by CeeBee View Post
    It doesn't seem to be wrong, it's sorted correctly as strings.
    It didn't used to sort that way in 2003. It used to just sort them all in numerical order. And besides, what good does it do me to sort it as a "string" (whatever that is). I want it sorted numerically. For example, if I look at those records and want to see if one has been issued multiple times with varying host names, then I want to sort it numerically so they will all appear at once and I can delete them. But if they are all scattered around as "strings" then what useful purpose would that serve? I would have to sift through all of them to find the number I'm looking for. Or export it as a text file and do it that way. Either way, it's just dumb that it's like this now.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Yes, I share your pain, but if computers weren't immensely complicated and frequently immensely screwed up we wouldn't have jobs, right?

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    If one has been assigned multiple times then you will see the records next to each other regardless of them being sorted as strings or as byte groups.
    Maybe the powers decided that string sorting should work for most and it causes less headache with IPv6 or a mix of IPv4 and IPv6? Especially given the fact that IPv6 format can be imploded for adjacent 0 numbers....

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb View Post
    Yes, I share your pain, but if computers weren't immensely complicated and frequently immensely screwed up we wouldn't have jobs, right?
    Well that is a damn good point. I better keep that in mind.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by CeeBee View Post
    If one has been assigned multiple times then you will see the records next to each other regardless of them being sorted as strings or as byte groups.
    Maybe the powers decided that string sorting should work for most and it causes less headache with IPv6 or a mix of IPv4 and IPv6? Especially given the fact that IPv6 format can be imploded for adjacent 0 numbers....
    I dunno. Maybe. All I know is that I want to sort it numerically.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    I dunno. Maybe. All I know is that I want to sort it numerically.
    If you want to sort them numerically then the correct way is to dump in a spreadsheet and convert them to numbers 192.168.0.1 -> 3232235521