Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heard about Napa?

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

Heard about Napa?

The fires here in California are close enough to me that it looks overcast out but it's really just the smoke from all the fires around here. Fortunately none of my family are adversely affected by the fires (I have family in Santa Rosa.)

What has affected us is our link to the Internet goes through Napa County. Right now our headquarters building where I work is fine, but we don't have connections to our branches. But the County is down. They're working with my boss to set up something to get the rest of the County on Internet through our connection. We have this screaming connection that we get at a deeply discounted rate because we're a library. CENIC provides us with a 100GB connection for pennies. (When we work with vendors that have to download their product or app or something they are always surprised how quickly a 20 GB file will download.)

Every time someone comes into the room we can smell the smoke.

There's a photo in this link you really should see. It's an overhead shot of a neighborhood that's just gone. We're not talking about rural homes that are inaccessible and have no fire hydrants. It's just a regular neighborhood like the one I live in.

http://www.ksro.com/2017/10/10/fires...s-devastation/
    When you're left out of the club, you know it. When you're in the club, you don't see what the problem is.

I am Green-Eyed.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    We deal with significant fires every year. Smoke so thick you can't see 1/4 mile. Makes Beijing look like a country meadow. The fire season has gotten progressively worse the last 8 years. Entire neighborhoods here have burned to the ground. I can sympathize with those dealing with this nightmare. Stay safe.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by northbayteky View Post
    . . . There's a photo in this link you really should see. It's an overhead shot of a neighborhood that's just gone. We're not talking about rural homes that are inaccessible and have no fire hydrants. It's just a regular neighborhood like the one I live in.

http://www.ksro.com/2017/10/10/fires...s-devastation/
    I saw a before shot to accompany this after shot on the news tonight. Just incredible. Hurricanes, fires, shootings - things are pretty messed up lately.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    It's getting closer to me. Fairfield schools will be closed due to the smoke (and the fire creeping closer to Fairfield.)

http://wapo.st/2guoDUB

This article has a pretty good shot from a drone showing some of the neighborhoods in Santa Rosa that have been destroyed by the fire there.
    When you're left out of the club, you know it. When you're in the club, you don't see what the problem is.

I am Green-Eyed.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Rent a uhaul. Pack it up with important things, and get out. Have a stay at an extended stay hotel. Photograph every room and possession. Be safe.....

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Be safe... Don't risk your life over things.. Things can be replaced ... You can not

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I've often walked outside in the winter and wondered why I live somewhere that hurts my face just to be outside. The answer is there are no Hurricanes, tornados, earthquakes, firestorms or any other really dangerous weather here in Nothern Ontario, guess I should buy a Balaclava.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Overdrv View Post
    I've often walked outside in the winter and wondered why I live somewhere that hurts my face just to be outside. The answer is there are no Hurricanes, tornados, earthquakes, firestorms or any other really dangerous weather here in Nothern Ontario, guess I should buy a Balaclava.
    This one would look good on you.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I'm hopeful the fire is nearly under control. There was very little smoke in Vacaville this morning, it smells a little smokey in Fairfield, probably because the fire is creeping in over the hills between Napa and Fairfield. One of our branches is closed, the one closest to the hills. and we keep getting this reminder:

Again, as a reminder, County employees serve as disaster service workers. To ensure delivery of services to the citizens of Solano County in this critical time, County employees need to continue to provide the necessary support to our communities as disaster service workers. In some cases, this may require County employees to work beyond the employee

I am Green-Eyed.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Wildfires are certainly frightening and more and more seem to cause massive destruction. Hope you're safe and stay that way.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!