Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tipping for haircuts?

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

Tipping for haircuts?

Do you tip for haircuts?

My wife always does but I never have. At the most, it takes 15 minutes to cut my hair. The service I receive is fine but it's not like she shines my shoes and gives me a beer. I usually tip 10% for the wait staff at buffets and 20% and full serve restaurants. My reasoning for tipping them is they get paid next to nothing per hour and rely on tips. Everybody else who holds out a tip jar is making at least minimum wage as far as I know so I do not tip them. I just switched barbers (stylists?) because my longtime previous stylist decided it was time to be a stay at home mom. I went to the new one tonight. I am considering tipping her but have not decided for sure yet.

Anyway, I am mostly curious about haircuts but feel free to share your other tipping thoughts too.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    My daughter is a stylist. I go to the salon. I pay 9.00 to the salon, and tip her 20.00. Before that, I paid 18.00 for the cut, and 4.00 tip. Most stylists, are paid as sub-contractors. they get 35-45% of what they bring in. They pay their own taxes, their portion of social security, etc.

I have a very long and wasted path in fast food and fine dining as a young person. I see how hard people bust their hump to provide good service, only to get a zero tip. I tip at Subway, Chipotle. The mailman gets 20 at Christmas. I have a lawn service come twice a year and cut the grass, when on vacation. One of my kids will leave a cooler with 4 drinks on the porch the day they will cut.

I look at it as a cost of doing business. If I charge every one of my computer customers a dollar more, it more than pays for my generosity.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I don't have much hair on my head anymore. I usually either run the clippers myself, or my wife does it. I just do my entire head at a uniform 1/2 inch and call it good. I have a trimmer for my mustache and beard, so I can handle that for myself as well. Since I don't have much pelt topside anymore, I figure the only viable options are to keep it all short, or grow that fringe into a pony tail that hangs down to my ass.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I go to the salon in my local walmart to a lady I went to school with and have known since I was a kid, I generally tip her $2. I have no problem doing this because she knows exactly what I want and does it right every time, I've went elsewhere before and had it messed up so I figure giving her a tip is worth it for the good service.

My issue is with the haircut price I pay at the salon. I pay the same price as a woman who comes in and gets her hair cut, shampooed, dried and styled even though from the time my ass hits the chair until I'm done is usually under 5 minutes. I wish they had a "clippers only" price, but oh well. The last few haircuts I've actually done myself at home because over the hot months I take the whole thing down to almost shaved.
    "Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free." - Jim Morrison

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    What's the salon at Walmart charge? Prior to my recent change, my wife and I went to the same place. For me, they washed my hair and cut it for $16. I was in and out in 15 minutes. My wife is certainly in the chair longer but how long depends on what they are doing that day. A color for example takes a lot longer. She definitely pays more than $16 but how much it is varies. The new place I went to last night is for men only. The wet my hair with a spray bottle and then cut it. Again, I was in and out in 15 minutes. It cost $13.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Getting back to tipping, I think places need to charge whatever the true cost of the service is and the tip should be either non-existent or minimal. When I was in Europe (Germany, France, Czech Republic, Austria) the norm was for minimal tipping because the staff was already being paid a reasonable wage. I think that makes more sense.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I usually go to a salon, $5 on a $25 service. If I need a haircut on short notice and can't get an appointment it's $4-5 on a $19 service at the barber.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinnacle-Project View Post
    What's the salon at Walmart charge? Prior to my recent change, my wife and I went to the same place. For me, they washed my hair and cut it for $16. I was in and out in 15 minutes. My wife is certainly in the chair longer but how long depends on what they are doing that day. A color for example takes a lot longer. She definitely pays more than $16 but how much it is varies. The new place I went to last night is for men only. The wet my hair with a spray bottle and then cut it. Again, I was in and out in 15 minutes. It cost $13.
    Pretty sure it's $14, although typically when I go I have a $2 or $3 off coupon they email me. When I take my daughter, it's the exact same price although she's getting cut, washed, dried and styled.

That just reminded me, one time years ago when I was a teenager, a stylist at walmart asked if I wanted my "beard" neatened up. At that time I had a tiny little bit of fuzz on my chin, I said "sure" and she literally probably snipped the scissors 3 times and I got a $9 "beard and mustache" trim on my bill....
    "Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free." - Jim Morrison

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinnacle-Project View Post
    Getting back to tipping, I think places need to charge whatever the true cost of the service is and the tip should be either non-existent or minimal. When I was in Europe (Germany, France, Czech Republic, Austria) the norm was for minimal tipping because the staff was already being paid a reasonable wage. I think that makes more sense.
    Agreed. I was just talking with a coworker about this the other day. He just booked a cruise and was telling me what his total was with "all gratuities included". I was like "wtf"? Gratuities are supposed to be something you give for exceptional service, not used as a means to help places pay their staff. If they know they're automatically getting gratuities included, where's the incentive go give exceptional service?

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by 3fingersalute View Post
    If they know they're automatically getting gratuities included, where's the incentive go give exceptional service?
    They still have a job.