Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: So that's what a heart attack feels like?

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

So that's what a heart attack feels like?

I try to keep fit, OK I like a beer and a bag of popcorn, but I've always thought I did enough to stave off any heart problems. Until last Monday..

So I took my mountain bike off down to local canal path last Monday evening, it was bitterly cold and dark, and I didn't have enough layers on top and my chest got cold. After a mile I started to get chest pains and though "you idiot" for not wearing enough layers. I had to stop as it hurt bad, no arm pain at all, and just blamed the freezing cold weather. Same after mile 2, mile 3, 4 etc up to mile 8 when I got back home.
    Through the week I walked vigorously for 2 miles each lunch break, no pains.
    Saturday morning taking my son to soccer practice I had the pain again and had to sit down, after a few minutes it went again. Now I'm worried. When we got home I did a gentle run around the yard and more pains so that's when I decided to visit the local hospital, luckily 2 miles up the road.

Turns out I had a coronary artery in the heart which was 95% blocked, so on the bike ride I'd had a warning shot, on the Saturday I'd had a minor heart attack. Been in the hospital acute assessment unit for 5 days and went for an angiogram yesterday where they found the issue and put a stent in there to open the artery again. I'm now on pills for life, and lots of them.

The surgeon who did the procedure said that by not coming in after mile 1 of the bike ride "I'd walked to the edge of the cliff and had a look over the side". I know some on here have already been there, but please guys, if you get any chest pains don't be an idiot like me.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    WOW man. that's crazy. Hope you feel better. Thankful that they at least caught it in time.
    I went in a couple of times for what turned out to be inflammation in the rib cage, but with my family history, I don't mess around too much.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Damn, glad you stayed on the good side of that cliff.

Got tons of heart problems throughout my family. Add that with occasional panic attacks. I should probably do more than my yearly check up.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Stay away from the light.

Glad you found out before it was too late. Scary.
    "But I got it because I'm an iSheep who needs to have all my stuff have an Apple logo on it."

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Glad you're fine. Don't feel bad, I have a friend who is a former athlete, got stents in his 30's and pretty much did the same as you. It's hard to not ignore signs that are totally unexpected.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Damn man...Good that you got into the hospital eventually. I'd have likely fought it off and toppled off that cliff!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Glad it wasn't that bad. Is there heart problems in your family? I thought you were a physically active person???

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Good grief, I'm glad you did not get any closer to the cliff. If I'm not mistaken, you are young too. Around 45-50?

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinnacle-Project View Post
    Good grief, I'm glad you did not get any closer to the cliff. If I'm not mistaken, you are young too. Around 45-50?
    I'm nearly 52, which from what I saw in the wards I was in is very young. I'm physically active but smoked from 18 to 38, ate bad stuff during the same time and lots of it. The main issue appears to be that my body generates too much cholesterol, (no matter what I eat), and combine that with stress, (I stress way too easily), and it was always going to end badly. I came out of hospital yesterday before I wrote that post and am off work for a few weeks now. Can you believe my work are already hassling me for stuff?

Thanks for the kind words, it's appreciated. I see this as a warning shot to change my lifestyle and attitude, which I'm now 100% signed up to. I'm also getting used to taking pills for ever and having copious amounts of blood taken out of me whenever I visit anyone ever . Within a few weeks I'll be available for oily fish recipes and suggestions.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Gazzak, SO glad to hear you're still with us.
    When you're left out of the club, you know it. When you're in the club, you don't see what the problem is.

I am Green-Eyed.