Thread: What do real mechanics use?

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

What do real mechanics use?

Imagine you are doing work on your car's engine and you are removing several hoses of the same size in the same area and you do not want to confuse them later during reassembly. When I was a kid, I remember my dad had a real small can of paint with a cap on the top (3 ounces?). When you loosened the cap, there would be a brush attached to the bottom side of the cap. Then, you simply marked the hose with a drop of paint and the device it attached to with another drop of paint. If you had multiple things to keep track of, you needed multiple cans of paint with different colors.

I needed to do this today so I went to the auto parts store. They said it sounded like a good idea but they did not have what I described. They suggested I use a Sharpie but I do not think that would work well. Instead, they suggested I use some touch up paint pens. This would probably work but at $6 each, not quite what I wanted. Then they suggested I use nail polish. I called home and my daughter said she had a bottle she no longer needed. Problem solved.

What do real mechanics use? Nail polish or something like what I remember my dad having?

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    White nail polish. One line for the first hose, 2 lines for the second. No lines for the third.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    White/Yellow Grease Pencil

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Masking tape. Easy to remove, easy to write on.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by CeeBee View Post
    Masking tape. Easy to remove, easy to write on.
    I've done this, I've also used different colors of electrical tape (I have like 8 different colors).
    "Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free." - Jim Morrison