Thread: Google IT School

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by CeeBee View Post
    No hands-on = worthless as far as I'm concerned.
    I've had to swap CPUs myself once because the tech sent couldn't do it...
    Through some miracle he managed to swap a mobo, but then he couldn't insert the CPUs in the sockets and asked for help...
    And then he tried to install the heatsink. Oh boy, nobody taught him how to do that, he put thermal paste like tooth paste on top of the CPUs and tried to spread it with a plastic knife, at which point I had to stop him and teach him how to clean the old paste and how a tiny dot of paste is enough. He didn't believe it would be enough to cover the entire CPU and I had to take the sink out and show him the coverage.
    I swear I'm not making this shit up...
    I once (about 20 years ago) did a hardware upgrade on a Win98 machine on this mid-20's hottie's kitchen table, and she watched with a keen eye. Having watched everything I did, she decided she was a PC Repair Tech now, and proceeded to flirt her way into a corporate level IT Dept. job. She worked on one computer which ended up actually needing a new mouse, and by the time she finished with it, plugged it in on the bench, turned it on, it literally caught fire! She was a legend among techs in Fairbanks, Alaska for quite some time.

So yeah, I know about not making stuff up. Real life has enough real weird going on without having to even embellish it. Gotta love it!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Tekboy View Post
    plugged it in on the bench, turned it on, it literally caught fire
    I've witnessed one instance, floppy connector shifted by 1 pin and old style power supply - instant smoke and wires catching on fire.
    But that was just an accident, not lack of knowledge.
    Last edited by CeeBee; 01-26-2018 at 04:01 PM.