Quote Originally Posted by CeeBee View Post
The lack of hands on experience leads to a shitty tech support person who has no clue what to do outside a script - or can't understand an already diagnosed or obvious (to anyone who knows) issue because it's not in the script. The obvious "i can ping the first ISP gateway but can't get further" comes to mind, and they start by rebooting the modem, router, computer...
I agree but without a basic understanding of what a ping is, what it does, how gateways work etc that doesn't mean a whole lot. A basic understanding of the OSI layer, and hardware layer, subnetting etc - just general understand of theory and "how things works" that's what this course seems like it's offering especially when looking at the course outline.

In my case I've got a kid working on my team who is lacking this kind of networking understanding. he's doing a lot of hands on and he's able to fix things he's done before because he's been taught to fix that specific scenario. What he lacks is the basic understanding underneath that allows him to troubleshoot problems he hasn't received help with before.....

He can install and adopt wifi APs but when I start talking about how we are routing them and the acls we are going to put in place on the router he is lost.....