Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I hope spring arrives in time for spring soccer

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

I hope spring arrives in time for spring soccer

It is -10 F (-23 C) this morning without wind chill. The weather forecast is for continued cold weather through mid March. I am so tired of winter. Practices for our upcoming soccer season are supposed to start the first week of April. With the huge amount of snow still on the ground, I cannot imagine we will have the fields ready on time. Even if it gets warm in mid March, it will take some time to melt the snow. Then, there will be the flooding. Our fields drain pretty well but there will be a lot of water over there. Finally, we will need to get all the goals/nets setup and stripe the field. This could prove to be difficult.

This may be what our first practices look like.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Holy cr*p! Good luck with that, get some orange balls!!

Due to constant rain since November our girls played last Saturday for the first time since December 4th. I hate Saturdays without the girls soccer now.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I coached spring soccer for a u-7 team and the weather that those kids played in just blew my mind. I have never coached before and it was the time for the first game and it was 33 and raining hard. People thought I was crazy for suggesting we don't send our 7 and under kids out there in that weather. I get it when it's High School, or even middle school, but what good is going to come out of sending a bunch of 6 and 7 year olds out in the freezing cold to get soaking wet? And then guess who the a-hole is the following week when they all are sick?

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by 74AD View Post
    but what good is going to come out of sending a bunch of 6 and 7 year olds out in the freezing cold to get soaking wet? And then guess who the a-hole is the following week when they all are sick?
    Oddly enough we were playing in the snow as kids, coming back literally frozen from all the snow melting on us and then freezing, never getting sick. I guess when you play all day outside in cold you build some immunity.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I wonder what it would feel like to go running in that snow. I probably wouldn't make it 20 yards. LOL

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by 74AD View Post
    I coached spring soccer for a u-7 team and the weather that those kids played in just blew my mind. I have never coached before and it was the time for the first game and it was 33 and raining hard. People thought I was crazy for suggesting we don't send our 7 and under kids out there in that weather. I get it when it's High School, or even middle school, but what good is going to come out of sending a bunch of 6 and 7 year olds out in the freezing cold to get soaking wet? And then guess who the a-hole is the following week when they all are sick?
    I didn't realise you'd been coaching in the UK AD?

One January night recently at training the weather was foul, it was cold, windy and raining sideways. All the other squads ran off and hid in the clubhouse and the only team left out training were our girls. We asked them constantly if they wanted to go inside but they all said no and carried on with their match while the others watched from the warm and dry. I think it said a lot about them as a team.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazzak View Post
    I didn't realise you'd been coaching in the UK AD?

One January night recently at training the weather was foul, it was cold, windy and raining sideways. All the other squads ran off and hid in the clubhouse and the only team left out training were our girls. We asked them constantly if they wanted to go inside but they all said no and carried on with their match while the others watched from the warm and dry. I think it said a lot about them as a team.
    Like I said I get it when they are older but if it was 34 degrees and pouring rain, and 6 year old Aidan said, "can I go outside and play?" I'd say "Heck no, are you nuts?"
    We played a game like that, and I kept Aidan who already had a bit of a cold in the car with Jamie :-)

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    I wonder what it would feel like to go running in that snow. I probably wouldn't make it 20 yards. LOL
    We joined the Y so I could keep running through the winter, but back in high school, we ran in bad weather all the time. Cross country season ended the beginning of November, so there were a couple times we had a race in snow. Distance training for track involved running Dec through Feb outside. The only time practice was canceled was if it was snowing.

The coach even posted an article about how being in cold, wet weather won't make you sick because of guys complaining one year. This is true, but being in that type of weather can hinder your immune system.

A lot of stuff regarding weather is conditioning for your environment. Right after that winter vortex, I walked outside and thought, "this feels pretty good". Weather app on my phone said it was in the 30s. Normally, that would feel pretty cold, but after 2-3 days of single digits, it actually felt warmer. I still wouldn't run around in shorts though. I could understand how my brother thought getting to 5 degrees in AK was warming up, too.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by riot View Post
    We joined the Y so I could keep running through the winter, but back in high school, we ran in bad weather all the time. Cross country season ended the beginning of November, so there were a couple times we had a race in snow. Distance training for track involved running Dec through Feb outside. The only time practice was canceled was if it was snowing.

The coach even posted an article about how being in cold, wet weather won't make you sick because of guys complaining one year. This is true, but being in that type of weather can hinder your immune system.

A lot of stuff regarding weather is conditioning for your environment. Right after that winter vortex, I walked outside and thought, "this feels pretty good". Weather app on my phone said it was in the 30s. Normally, that would feel pretty cold, but after 2-3 days of single digits, it actually felt warmer. I still wouldn't run around in shorts though. I could understand how my brother thought getting to 5 degrees in AK was warming up, too.
    I've been slacking on running. So far for Jan and Feb I've only gotten in about 30 miles for the month. Just so busy with school and work it's hard to find time. I follow running related things on Instragram to stay motivated (there's tons on there). I always see people posting their running pictures from snowy conditions. It kinda looks fun actually.

The Y sounds good. I've tried the treadmill at my apartment a few times. Man, I tried and tried but I just can't do it. I get so bored on there. 2 miles feels like an eternity. So no matter what I either have to run outside or not at all.

As for being sick, I have noticed I'm a lot stronger these days. I take a multi-vitamin, a 1000mg vitamin C, eating much healthier, no smoking and running fairly regularly. So all those things I think are boosting my immune system. There is some debate as to the affect weather has on your health. But overall, I think it's good to keep running as often as possible.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    running in the cold is actually kind of awesome. snow and ice...not so much for me. If the roads and sidewalks are clear and it's just cold. a base layer of tights and long sleeve compression shirt along with a tossle cap and light gloves (which I usually end up ditching but I need them to start out) are about all I need to stay warm.

I don't like running on ice and snow though.. traction is too inconsistent and if I use the ice gripper things I have to add to my shoes (like these http://www.amazon.com/Stabilicers-Li...3879738&sr=1-3) everything is great until I am off snow / ice and onto wet road and then they really hurt my feet / joints...

I've been slacking too though...I'm hoping to pick it up once this crazy weather clears up.