Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I hope spring arrives in time for spring soccer

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Same here. I mean, I'll keep going but I don't know that I can even do much more until my school schedule lightens up. I'm stretched thin these days.

I will say this though: I don't care what the situation is,... nothing beats the feeling of getting in a good solid run. Getting started is a whole other story, and sometimes during a run I feel like just giving up and walking home,... but to actually get out there and complete the task is one of the best feelings.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    The Y sounds good. I've tried the treadmill at my apartment a few times. Man, I tried and tried but I just can't do it. I get so bored on there. 2 miles feels like an eternity. So no matter what I either have to run outside or not at all.
    I completely understand about the treadmill. I mainly get through it by listening to podcasts. Last Thursday I forgot my bluetooth earphones, so I had to watch tv which did nothing for me. That mixed with me being more tired than normal, I only ran 30 minutes instead of the 45 I had planned. Very next day, I remember my earphones, but they die after about 10 minutes. I ended up thinking about helping coach my son in baseball and basketball and managed to zone out. Ended up running a full hour.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by riot View Post
    I completely understand about the treadmill. I mainly get through it by listening to podcasts. Last Thursday I forgot my bluetooth earphones, so I had to watch tv which did nothing for me. That mixed with me being more tired than normal, I only ran 30 minutes instead of the 45 I had planned. Very next day, I remember my earphones, but they die after about 10 minutes. I ended up thinking about helping coach my son in baseball and basketball and managed to zone out. Ended up running a full hour.
    Oh yeah. For me, I'll go in there with the best intention. I tell myself I'm going to knock out 3 miles and be done in like 25-30 minutes. I got the nike+ watch going (i'm switched off of Runkeeper to this because of the watch), the great shoes, the shoe sensor, the sweat wicking shirt,... all geared up and ready to go. But within 2 minutes I'm checking my watch and thinking, "WTF? It's only been 2 minutes? It feels like at least 28!". So then I suck it up and try to go into a comfort zone and get a good pace going. But the pace of 10:00 that I hope for turns into like 13/14:00something (I'm super slow). So there goes my dreams of a 3 mile run. So then at about 1.2 miles in I'm ready to collapse and thinking, "How the heck can I run 6 miles on uphill trails outside but I can barely do 1 mile on this dumb treadmill?" So then I keep going, start fading out almost falling asleep while running. Meanwhile, someone else will walk in and start their thing. And then there's this weird thing where I'm trying to focus on my own run but I can't help but focus on their run. I start thinking, "How is that old lady running twice as fast as me? And why is she speed walking and I'm running? And I wonder how that machine over there with all the weights on it works? Maybe I should be doing that instead? And why is it so gawd damn hot in here? Did they turn the fan on? Yup, I see it over there. The fan is on. Oh wait, what, oops!" Then I have to catch myself as I almost fall off the treadmill and get back on track.

Yeah, treadmill is not for me. Between my low level of fitness and my ridiculously low attention span and everything else I just can't do it.

That said,.. you ran a full hour on it? Damn! I don't know how you do it. That's pretty awesome.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    That said,.. you ran a full hour on it? Damn! I don't know how you do it. That's pretty awesome.
    As mentioned, I managed to zone out. After I took the earphones out, I starting thinking about other stuff and completely distracted myself from running. Didn't even look at the timer until about 30-35 minutes has passed, and I didn't even realize it had been that long. If I would have been outside, it would have been like suddenly looking around and realizing I'm almost back home with noticing.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Today was the start of the spring half of our soccer season. We delayed the season a week on account of weather. The last two weeks of practice the fields were a bit soggy but today the fields were great. It's a beautiful day however the temperature was only about 38F/3C plus a wind at game time this morning. Too bad we did not have an afternoon game. It's now 55F/13C without a wind. Since my daughter's team won 5 to 1, we can overlook the cold morning.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Just when I think there's no worse place to live than on the High Plains, I'm reminded that indeed there are. I hate the cold. I've been through Panhandle winters where the chill factor was down around -60 to -70 degrees and I hated every moment of it. On the other hand, summers can top out around 108 or so. Frankly, I deal with the heat a lot better than the cold.

The worst part of life here is the wind. Average wind speed is around 16 mph, but we have plenty of days when winds are up in the 20 to 30 mile range with gusts around 40 to 50 mph. Straight line winds of 100 mph aren't unknown. About 3 years ago, I was treated to the sight of one of my neighbors garage being blown off its foundations and carried about a hundred yards through the pasture behind my house, mostly intact, before it suddenly disintegrated. Really wish I had that on video.

What can I say. I live in a small town and watching wind damage and monitoring wall cloud formation during tornado season is about all we can do for fun.
    Yes, Mr. Death... I'll play you a game! But not CHESS !!! BAH... FOOEY! My game is...
    WIFFLEBALL!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Oh man,... that picture reminds me of when I was a kid playing soccer. I miss those days. Those were some of my favorite times in my life. Being out on the field, running around kicking the ball. Good times.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    That grass needs a d*mn good cut Pinnacle.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Gazzak View Post
    That grass needs a d*mn good cut Pinnacle.
    Patience. We went from tons of snow to a lake to what you see in this picture in a really short period of time. Lots of goals to get out, sand bags to deploy, countless fields to stripe. Cutting the grass can wait.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    80F plus here in the greater Seattle area today, who says climate change isn't real! But let me tell ya, those sky's are absolutely blue, blue, blue and the mountains white, white, white. Nice place to be today, home that is, 'cause I'm "cough, cough" not going in today.