Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 28

Thread: Air impact wrench

  1. #1
    Senior Member Pinnacle-Project's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Location
    Grand Rapids, Michigan
    Posts
    944
    vCash
    0
    Points
    1,117,421
    Bank
    0
    Total Points
    1,117,421
    Donate

    Air impact wrench

    It seems like lately this site is down more than it is up but it's up right now, so I have a question. I love tools and anytime I can come up with an excuse to buy one, I take it.

    I need to replace both sway bar links on my daughter's 2000 Infiniti G20. Sway bar links are pretty cheap so it's a small investment since my labor will be free. Since she is a poor college student, this is a good thing. I am sure I could remove each of the existing sway bar links with a typical ratchet wrench, cheater bar, and PB Blaster but that's pretty boring. I do not have any air tools. Maybe that should change. An air impact wrench has more muscle than me even with a cheater bar. It is also an "impact" wrench so there is more to it than muscle. Have you found the impact aspect of an air wrench helps you out a lot with projects?

    If I do get an air impact wrench, I know the prices vary widely. I will definitely not buy any crap from Harbor Freight but on the other hand, I can't justify a $500 tool either. I was browsing Amazon. This DeWalt would probably be sufficient for the infrequent use I would give it.

    https://smile.amazon.com/DEWALT-DWMT...+impact+wrench

    What are your thoughts?

  2. #2
    Senior Member CeeBee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    1,673
    vCash
    1792
    Points
    122,609
    Bank
    0
    Total Points
    122,609
    Donate
    Air impact -> big ass compressor + thick hoses.

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    725
    vCash
    0
    Points
    110,053
    Bank
    0
    Total Points
    110,053
    Donate
    Have to say I've had good luck with harbor freight stuff. Yes it's not designed to last forever but I bought a 10 inch sliding miter saw last year, paid the extra for the warranty, cut a ton of stuff with it and then tried to get fancy and do notching I should have done with a hand circular saw anyway and broke the guide. Took it back, they looked up the warranty, gave me a brand new one and I paid $35 to put 2 year warranty on that.....Brand new saw with 2 year no questions asked warranty....I really can't complain.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    1,355
    vCash
    0
    Points
    304,261
    Bank
    0
    Total Points
    304,261
    Donate
    Remember DO NOT USE standard sockets with an impact. You must use impact sockets. Standard sockets will break apart rather dangerously. Factor a good set of impact sockets into your price

  5. #5
    forum fool 3fingersalute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    545
    vCash
    0
    Points
    118,164
    Bank
    0
    Total Points
    118,164
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by 74AD View Post
    Have to say I've had good luck with harbor freight stuff. Yes it's not designed to last forever but I bought a 10 inch sliding miter saw last year, paid the extra for the warranty, cut a ton of stuff with it and then tried to get fancy and do notching I should have done with a hand circular saw anyway and broke the guide. Took it back, they looked up the warranty, gave me a brand new one and I paid $35 to put 2 year warranty on that.....Brand new saw with 2 year no questions asked warranty....I really can't complain.
    Interesting. Out of curiosity what did you pay for that saw? I needed a new one and just bought a 10" sliding last week at Home Depot. We just got a Harbor Freight in my town about 5-6 months ago and I've never been in it.
    "Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free." - Jim Morrison

  6. #6
    forum fool 3fingersalute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    545
    vCash
    0
    Points
    118,164
    Bank
    0
    Total Points
    118,164
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinnacle-Project View Post
    It seems like lately this site is down more than it is up but it's up right now, so I have a question. I love tools and anytime I can come up with an excuse to buy one, I take it.

    I need to replace both sway bar links on my daughter's 2000 Infiniti G20. Sway bar links are pretty cheap so it's a small investment since my labor will be free. Since she is a poor college student, this is a good thing. I am sure I could remove each of the existing sway bar links with a typical ratchet wrench, cheater bar, and PB Blaster but that's pretty boring. I do not have any air tools. Maybe that should change. An air impact wrench has more muscle than me even with a cheater bar. It is also an "impact" wrench so there is more to it than muscle. Have you found the impact aspect of an air wrench helps you out a lot with projects?

    If I do get an air impact wrench, I know the prices vary widely. I will definitely not buy any crap from Harbor Freight but on the other hand, I can't justify a $500 tool either. I was browsing Amazon. This DeWalt would probably be sufficient for the infrequent use I would give it.

    https://smile.amazon.com/DEWALT-DWMT...+impact+wrench

    What are your thoughts?
    Another thing is check craigslist, ebay, etc. Might find a decent used one or a set for a good deal.
    "Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free." - Jim Morrison

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    725
    vCash
    0
    Points
    110,053
    Bank
    0
    Total Points
    110,053
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by 3fingersalute View Post
    Interesting. Out of curiosity what did you pay for that saw? I needed a new one and just bought a 10" sliding last week at Home Depot. We just got a Harbor Freight in my town about 5-6 months ago and I've never been in it.
    $95 on sale then $35 for the warranty.
    Got almost a year out of it.....then warrantied it.

  8. #8
    forum fool 3fingersalute's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    545
    vCash
    0
    Points
    118,164
    Bank
    0
    Total Points
    118,164
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by 74AD View Post
    $95 on sale then $35 for the warranty.
    Got almost a year out of it.....then warrantied it.
    That's awesome. I went with a Roybi which is Home Depot's cheaper brand (like Kobalt for Lowe's) and it was on sale for $169 and I had a 15% off coupon so I got it for $144. Guess I should have checked Harbor Freight...
    "Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free." - Jim Morrison

  9. #9
    Senior Member CeeBee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    1,673
    vCash
    1792
    Points
    122,609
    Bank
    0
    Total Points
    122,609
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinnacle-Project View Post
    Needs 5.9CFM@90PSI. You'll be like this guy. http://www.funny.com/funny?fn=CBQ2E

    (and no, the regular compressor won't do, I have to put both mine in parallel to get the flow and drops the pressure in no time from a single nut or bolt).
    Last edited by CeeBee; 07-24-2018 at 05:31 PM.

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Posts
    2,148
    vCash
    0
    Points
    351,754
    Bank
    0
    Total Points
    351,754
    Donate
    My buddy uses electric impact wrench. He swears it does just as good as air and you just plug it in and go.

    He also has some torque extensions when putting stuff on then uses a torque wrench to make sure everything is right.

    I dont know what brand he uses, but we used it on my truck. Something like on this page. But get a real one, not an impact drive, an impact wrench. https://www.sears.com/search=electric%20impact%20wrench
    "But I got it because I'm an iSheep who needs to have all my stuff have an Apple logo on it."

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •