Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Air impact wrench

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

Air impact wrench

It seems like lately this site is down more than it is up but it's up right now, so I have a question. I love tools and anytime I can come up with an excuse to buy one, I take it.

I need to replace both sway bar links on my daughter's 2000 Infiniti G20. Sway bar links are pretty cheap so it's a small investment since my labor will be free. Since she is a poor college student, this is a good thing. I am sure I could remove each of the existing sway bar links with a typical ratchet wrench, cheater bar, and PB Blaster but that's pretty boring. I do not have any air tools. Maybe that should change. An air impact wrench has more muscle than me even with a cheater bar. It is also an "impact" wrench so there is more to it than muscle. Have you found the impact aspect of an air wrench helps you out a lot with projects?

If I do get an air impact wrench, I know the prices vary widely. I will definitely not buy any crap from Harbor Freight but on the other hand, I can't justify a $500 tool either. I was browsing Amazon. This DeWalt would probably be sufficient for the infrequent use I would give it.

https://smile.amazon.com/DEWALT-DWMT...+impact+wrench

What are your thoughts?

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Air impact -> big ass compressor + thick hoses.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Have to say I've had good luck with harbor freight stuff. Yes it's not designed to last forever but I bought a 10 inch sliding miter saw last year, paid the extra for the warranty, cut a ton of stuff with it and then tried to get fancy and do notching I should have done with a hand circular saw anyway and broke the guide. Took it back, they looked up the warranty, gave me a brand new one and I paid $35 to put 2 year warranty on that.....Brand new saw with 2 year no questions asked warranty....I really can't complain.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Remember DO NOT USE standard sockets with an impact. You must use impact sockets. Standard sockets will break apart rather dangerously. Factor a good set of impact sockets into your price

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by 74AD View Post
    Have to say I've had good luck with harbor freight stuff. Yes it's not designed to last forever but I bought a 10 inch sliding miter saw last year, paid the extra for the warranty, cut a ton of stuff with it and then tried to get fancy and do notching I should have done with a hand circular saw anyway and broke the guide. Took it back, they looked up the warranty, gave me a brand new one and I paid $35 to put 2 year warranty on that.....Brand new saw with 2 year no questions asked warranty....I really can't complain.
    Interesting. Out of curiosity what did you pay for that saw? I needed a new one and just bought a 10" sliding last week at Home Depot. We just got a Harbor Freight in my town about 5-6 months ago and I've never been in it.
    "Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free." - Jim Morrison

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinnacle-Project View Post
    It seems like lately this site is down more than it is up but it's up right now, so I have a question. I love tools and anytime I can come up with an excuse to buy one, I take it.

I need to replace both sway bar links on my daughter's 2000 Infiniti G20. Sway bar links are pretty cheap so it's a small investment since my labor will be free. Since she is a poor college student, this is a good thing. I am sure I could remove each of the existing sway bar links with a typical ratchet wrench, cheater bar, and PB Blaster but that's pretty boring. I do not have any air tools. Maybe that should change. An air impact wrench has more muscle than me even with a cheater bar. It is also an "impact" wrench so there is more to it than muscle. Have you found the impact aspect of an air wrench helps you out a lot with projects?

If I do get an air impact wrench, I know the prices vary widely. I will definitely not buy any crap from Harbor Freight but on the other hand, I can't justify a $500 tool either. I was browsing Amazon. This DeWalt would probably be sufficient for the infrequent use I would give it.

https://smile.amazon.com/DEWALT-DWMT...+impact+wrench

What are your thoughts?
    Another thing is check craigslist, ebay, etc. Might find a decent used one or a set for a good deal.
    "Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free." - Jim Morrison

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by 3fingersalute View Post
    Interesting. Out of curiosity what did you pay for that saw? I needed a new one and just bought a 10" sliding last week at Home Depot. We just got a Harbor Freight in my town about 5-6 months ago and I've never been in it.
    $95 on sale then $35 for the warranty.
    Got almost a year out of it.....then warrantied it.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by 74AD View Post
    $95 on sale then $35 for the warranty.
    Got almost a year out of it.....then warrantied it.
    That's awesome. I went with a Roybi which is Home Depot's cheaper brand (like Kobalt for Lowe's) and it was on sale for $169 and I had a 15% off coupon so I got it for $144. Guess I should have checked Harbor Freight...

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinnacle-Project View Post
    Needs 5.9CFM@90PSI. You'll be like this guy. http://www.funny.com/funny?fn=CBQ2E

(and no, the regular compressor won't do, I have to put both mine in parallel to get the flow and drops the pressure in no time from a single nut or bolt).
    Last edited by CeeBee; 07-24-2018 at 05:31 PM.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    My buddy uses electric impact wrench. He swears it does just as good as air and you just plug it in and go.

He also has some torque extensions when putting stuff on then uses a torque wrench to make sure everything is right.

I dont know what brand he uses, but we used it on my truck. Something like on this page. But get a real one, not an impact drive, an impact wrench. https://www.sears.com/search=electric%20impact%20wrench
    "But I got it because I'm an iSheep who needs to have all my stuff have an Apple logo on it."