Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Air impact wrench

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Overdrv View Post
    Remember DO NOT USE standard sockets with an impact. You must use impact sockets. Standard sockets will break apart rather dangerously. Factor a good set of impact sockets into your price
    I only have standard sockets so my plan is get some impact sockets at the Amish auction I go to twice a year. The auction is not until September 8 but that's okay because I will be out of town on vacation for half of August and I am busy now. I will do this project in early to mid-September.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by CeeBee View Post
    Needs 5.9CFM@90PSI. You'll be like this guy. http://www.funny.com/funny?fn=CBQ2E

(and no, the regular compressor won't do, I have to put both mine in parallel to get the flow and drops the pressure in no time from a single nut or bolt).
    Yes, the compressor is important. I would consider mine to be a medium size. It's an old Sanford twin cylinder from Minnesota. It has a 22 gallon tank and tops out at 150 psi. Not as nice as my dad's and far from professional level but I think it will work. If I was doing a lot of sanding or grinding, I think it would be a problem because the air compressor would cycle on and off too much.

Funny story by the way.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by 74AD View Post
    Have to say I've had good luck with harbor freight stuff. Yes it's not designed to last forever but I bought a 10 inch sliding miter saw last year, paid the extra for the warranty, cut a ton of stuff with it and then tried to get fancy and do notching I should have done with a hand circular saw anyway and broke the guide. Took it back, they looked up the warranty, gave me a brand new one and I paid $35 to put 2 year warranty on that.....Brand new saw with 2 year no questions asked warranty....I really can't complain.
    I did not know they had actual stores. I went by one over the weekend but was on my way to a car show so I did not stop.

IIRC they used to go from town to town with a semi trailer full of tools and catalog sales?

Either way, for tools I wont need very often or once, it seems like a good deal. If I hang drywall in my basement it will only be once so I won't need top shelf tools
    "But I got it because I'm an iSheep who needs to have all my stuff have an Apple logo on it."

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    If you've already got Ryobi batteries, I would think this sucka would work. It can remove lugs on wheels no problem:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ryobi-Too...&wl13=&veh=sem

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Semper Fi View Post
    If you've already got Ryobi batteries, I would think this sucka would work. It can remove lugs on wheels no problem:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Ryobi-Too...&wl13=&veh=sem

Thanks but no Ryobi batteries. I only have two battery operated tools (a drill and a screwdriver). Generally speaking, I avoid them because once the batteries wear out, you might as well toss the tools because buying new batteries almost costs as much as new tools.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Larommi View Post
    I did not know they had actual stores. I went by one over the weekend but was on my way to a car show so I did not stop.

IIRC they used to go from town to town with a semi trailer full of tools and catalog sales?

Either way, for tools I wont need very often or once, it seems like a good deal. If I hang drywall in my basement it will only be once so I won't need top shelf tools
    that's exactly my thought process. I don't use tools a ton so the quality is fine for me. If after 2 years my $14 angle grinder dies I'm not really upset and going and getting another $14 one still has me way ahead of buying a top shelf one for $50 or more.....

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Harbor Freight sells impact sockets. I bought a full set of metric and standard sockets for under 40 bucks total. I don't use them for much, mostly just getting the lugnuts off. Best money I've ever spent. I can rotate my tires in about 10 minutes total. Second best money I ever spent was the low profile jack from harbor freight. Much better than the normal 2 1/4 ton jack I used to use. Three foot long handle makes a world of difference jacking the car up. I use craftsman for tools that I use a lot, but for things that you rarely need, you can't beat harbor freight prices.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by imarolan12 View Post
    Harbor Freight sells impact sockets. I bought a full set of metric and standard sockets for under 40 bucks total. I don't use them for much, mostly just getting the lugnuts off. Best money I've ever spent. I can rotate my tires in about 10 minutes total. Second best money I ever spent was the low profile jack from harbor freight. Much better than the normal 2 1/4 ton jack I used to use. Three foot long handle makes a world of difference jacking the car up. I use craftsman for tools that I use a lot, but for things that you rarely need, you can't beat harbor freight prices.
    word!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Also, I bought an electric impact gun from them about 15 years ago. Cost was maybe 25 bucks. It's probably not quite as powerful as an air impact gun and doesn't sound as cool. It was worth the money for the first time I used it getting a rusted oil drain bolt unseized from my 83 Datsun 280 ZX back in the good old days. Still works great and has never seen a bolt yet it couldn't get loose, although I mostly just use it for lugnuts now. It's nice being able to rotate your own tires in under 10 minutes total time. We are lucky to have three different harbor freight stores in the city.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Those new Ryobi batteries are amazing. Lasted 4-5 years now, and I can still leave them in the cabinet for 4 months, and have a full charge with full torque.