Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Air impact wrench

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by imarolan12 View Post
    It's probably not quite as powerful as an air impact gun and doesn't sound as cool.
    That's a deal killer. I love the sound of air tools.

As it turns out, I am going to have a chance to use my new air impact wrench before I work on my daughter's car next month. Earlier this summer, I did some exhaust work on my 2003 Tundra. The only portion of the exhaust that is still original is the driver's side catalytic converter. As I was pulling out of my neighborhood yesterday, my truck suddenly got loud. When I got to work, I looked under my truck and saw an oxygen sensor hanging on its cable. The bolts holding it onto the pipe next to the catalytic converter rusted away and it popped off. I suppose an exhaust shop could have welded on new bolts but why bother with a 16 year old cat? I will replace it this weekend. The bolts up by the exhaust manifold should be a good test for my new tool.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinnacle-Project View Post
    That's a deal killer. I love the sound of air tools.

As it turns out, I am going to have a chance to use my new air impact wrench before I work on my daughter's car next month. Earlier this summer, I did some exhaust work on my 2003 Tundra. The only portion of the exhaust that is still original is the driver's side catalytic converter. As I was pulling out of my neighborhood yesterday, my truck suddenly got loud. When I got to work, I looked under my truck and saw an oxygen sensor hanging on its cable. The bolts holding it onto the pipe next to the catalytic converter rusted away and it popped off. I suppose an exhaust shop could have welded on new bolts but why bother with a 16 year old cat? I will replace it this weekend. The bolts up by the exhaust manifold should be a good test for my new tool.
    If you can access it easily, it might be a good idea to soak it overnight with some PB blast. When my buddy replaced my exhaust, even with the air impact gun the exhaust bolts gave it quite a bit of trouble. The ones I was able to reach and hit with PB blast beforehand came out much much easier.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    "But I got it because I'm an iSheep who needs to have all my stuff have an Apple logo on it."

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Larommi View Post

Maybe for Christmas.

On the other hand, I am not sure I have been good enough this year to get something that expensive.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I got the three bolts off up by the manifold earlier today. They came off fairly easily but I did learn in the process.

In the past, I would have soaked something like this in PB Blaster or Deep Creep ahead of time. Today, I just assumed the power of my new tool would make these penetrating oils unnecessary. The first bolt came off pretty easy. The second was firmly stuck, so I skipped it and went on to the third. The third started to come off okay but about halfway, it got stuck. I started to go back and forth between loosening and tightening. I hoped this would work but the bolt end up breaking about halfway down the length of the bolt. It is still long enough to be usable but ideally I would not have done that. Having learned my lesson, I returned to the remaining nut and soaked it with Deep Creep. I kept myself busy with something else for a couple hours and then came back to this. When I did, the previously stuck nut came off easily.

I am very happy with my new purchase.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Overdrv View Post

LOL!
    "But I got it because I'm an iSheep who needs to have all my stuff have an Apple logo on it."

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    that's hilarious!!!!!