Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Apple CarPlay

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

Apple CarPlay

Obviously we all know that Samsung is far superior to Apple. [/sarcasm]

But still, I thought this was pretty cool. I wish I had this in my car!: https://www.apple.com/ios/carplay/

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    It will be interesting to see how this plays out. I really hope that they can improve the interfaces in modern cars. God knows there is space for improvement.

I'm waiting for them to start suing over the use of knobs and dials

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I have the music part integrated via Bluetooth.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Overdrv View Post
    It will be interesting to see how this plays out. I really hope that they can improve the interfaces in modern cars. God knows there is space for improvement.

I'm waiting for them to start suing over the use of knobs and dials
    LOL. Suing over knobs and dials. That would be funny actually. Heck, the makers of "Candy Crush" are trying to trademark the term "candy" so I guess anything is possible.

All jokes aside, I do think this is cool but I'm not sure how I feel about this overall. And not sure that it even matters tbh. This sort of thing is coming whether we like it or not. And I guarantee Google and Samsung and everyone else will be trying to get into the car space as well. I think this technology is really cool but just a couple of concerns:

1. Does this mean I have to have yet ANOTHER monthly payment for something?
    2. How will this affect car safety? People are already preoccupied with their phones as it is. Now the whole car turns into one big phone? Not sure how I feel about that.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by CeeBee View Post
    I have the music part integrated via Bluetooth.
    That's the thing though. If you take this all apart, it's nothing new. Just like the iPhone wasn't anything new when it came out. You can easily rationalize it that all the bits and pieces already existed and obviously there were attempts to make a decent mobile device long before iPhone ever came around. But it's the system as a whole that makes it great. Something about the way Apple implemented things made it a successful platform. And then later Samsung did the same thing on their end of the spectrum. We all have dashboards, we all have bluetooth,... heck some of us even already have a sort of touch-screen/mobile experience in our cars already. But this takes things a little further in terms of integration and putting the pieces together.

Or maybe I got this all wrong. Maybe it's just the same old same old in a prettier package.
    Last edited by Webhead; 03-03-2014 at 09:51 PM.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    This kind of system is of no use to me as a driver, Apple, Samsung or otherwise. "Do everything you want to do with your iPhone while driving" Aside from throw it out of the window at speed with a view to smashing it into a thousand pieces, I can't see anything I'd like to do with my (ex)-iPhone whilst driving. Whilst driving I like to do crazy stuff like focus on the road ahead, avoid other road users who seem hell bent on killing me and doing something as straightforward as driving..... the last thing I think any driver needs is a distraction such as a phone in your dash to play with. Especially an iPhone, imagine all that extra road rage when it wants to sync with iTunes because you're turning left today and not right.... ;-)

In all seriousness though, I think these kind of systems have no place in the car for a driver, as a passenger, cool as heck. These days it's almost as if the process of driving a multi-ton vehicle has become secondary to the 'Car Experience' and because of that I now use the train and bus. Call me old fashioned but I think pubs in service stations, alcohol for sale in garages and now multi-media technology for a driver is sending the wrong message about driving.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    It's intriguing but far from ideal. This is going to be an EXPENSIVE add on option to a vehicle and it's going to require an active iphone for it to work. what happens when apple introduces it's new iphone lines and changes the proprietary connector and the new iphone no longer works with the icar...do you have to upgrade your car AND phone? What if you decide you no longer want to have an iphone and want to get the latest offering from HTC / samsung? Are you trapped now because you're car audio / navigation won't work at all?

I really like the functionality, but for me, this would need to be a stand alone product. A double din unit installed in the vehicle. The major hangup to this is obviously data/internet, but I wonder if you couldn't do something with satellite and a subscription to for data? The other hangup would be the phone portion but I think you could somehow work that out so that either you plug your existing phone in somehow or work a bluetooth solution.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by corturbra View Post
    This kind of system is of no use to me as a driver, Apple, Samsung or otherwise. "Do everything you want to do with your iPhone while driving" Aside from throw it out of the window at speed with a view to smashing it into a thousand pieces, I can't see anything I'd like to do with my (ex)-iPhone whilst driving. Whilst driving I like to do crazy stuff like focus on the road ahead, avoid other road users who seem hell bent on killing me and doing something as straightforward as driving..... the last thing I think any driver needs is a distraction such as a phone in your dash to play with. Especially an iPhone, imagine all that extra road rage when it wants to sync with iTunes because you're turning left today and not right.... ;-)

In all seriousness though, I think these kind of systems have no place in the car for a driver, as a passenger, cool as heck. These days it's almost as if the process of driving a multi-ton vehicle has become secondary to the 'Car Experience' and because of that I now use the train and bus. Call me old fashioned but I think pubs in service stations, alcohol for sale in garages and now multi-media technology for a driver is sending the wrong message about driving.
    And I thought I was old! LOL

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Tekboy View Post
    And I thought I was old!
    you thought right. you are

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    It's actually encouraging texting while driving? I don't see this making it off the ground
    "Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free." - Jim Morrison