Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gotcha

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Found a decent looking one for android that can be set to start recording automatically when docked (which I don't have) or when connected to a particular bluetooth device (this would work for my truck as I have my phone paired with my stereo). I may look into some sort of mount and then give this a try:

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...vans.autoguard
    "Expose yourself to your deepest fear; after that, fear has no power, and the fear of freedom shrinks and vanishes. You are free." - Jim Morrison

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I wonder how hard it would be to install an actual permanent dash cam. The wiring might be the hardest part of it I guess?

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    I wonder how hard it would be to install an actual permanent dash cam. The wiring might be the hardest part of it I guess?
    Go Pro camera. My brother uses them in all his snowplow trucks. Keeps both the employees and the idiots on the road honest.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Before I became a bus w****r (see the Inbetweeners for translation) I looked at various options for Dash Cams as the amount of near misses I would have in a 12 mile journey was frightening. If I didn't have at least 2 close calls on the drive to work I would arrive thinking I'd slept the journey. Lane changers without indicating, people forcing their way into traffic, pulling out, not indicating or changing mind at last minute, kids/adults on bicycles doing all manners of dangerous, stupid things, etc etc etc. This year I have driven probably around 200 miles and my stress levels are the lowest they have been for years.

I think CCTV is the way to go, both in cars and around the house. I have an 8 Channel system on its way after an attempted break-in last weekend. The baseball bats were a pickup from the local sports store ;-)

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by CeeBee View Post
    Interesting concept, but with so many idiots on the street you may need 360 degrees field of view.
    The ideal system would have front, back and side facing cameras. Some of the cameras that cyclists wear have a fisheye lens that gives a much wider field of view.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I tried it with my iPhone this morning. Not good. I mean, everything works but I think I'd rather just do this with a GoPro. I want the wider lens.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Wouldn't it be illegal in Kalifornia to start with?
    26708. (a) (1) A person shall not drive any motor vehicle with any object or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied upon the windshield or side or rear windows.
    http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc26708.htm
    Last edited by CeeBee; 03-05-2014 at 05:15 PM.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Wouldn't it be illegal in Kalifornia to start with?

http://dmv.ca.gov/pubs/vctop/d12/vc26708.htm
    LOL. Considering everyone in California has stuff stuck to their windshield, I'd say that law is about as good as the ban they tried to do on cell phone usage. Did you find anything about the legalities of mounting to the dashboard?

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    LOL. Considering everyone in California has stuff stuck to their windshield, I'd say that law is about as good as the ban they tried to do on cell phone usage. Did you find anything about the legalities of mounting to the dashboard?
    Apparently there are a couple of spots where you may mount a GPS. And a video recorder that only saves data after a crash - so no plain recording during the drive.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Apparently there are a couple of spots where you may mount a GPS. And a video recorder that only saves data after a crash - so no plain recording during the drive.
    I don't know about that. Either the law is not clear or nobody is following it. Everyday I sit in major traffic to and from work. My coworker carpool (because we live in the same apartment complex) and constantly noticing all the helmet cams, dash cams, etc. while driving. It's pretty common around here.