Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I have some new health related thoughts

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

I have some new health related thoughts

So I was just wondering what you guys think about vitamins? I get conflicting information. And honestly, I don't think anyone really knows the answer but I think it's definitely work talking about. Some people think a multivitamin everyday is good and other people think it's bad. I take one daily. I also take a 1000mg vitamin c pill everyday. I've never really been a vitamin guy but ever since I broke my ankle, I started taking the multivitamin and just never stopped.

Also, I was thinking about vegetables. In previous discussions I was talking about juicing as being a good thing. I think it's a good thing but part of me is wondering lately why we wouldn't just eat vegetables instead of going through all the trouble of juicing? First, juicing destroys the vegetable and second, half the vegetable is thrown out. So why are we doing that again? Anyway, I'm fine with juicing but I think it might be better just to eat vegetables instead.

And finally I was thinking about carbohydrates. What exactly is a carbohydrate? My thoughts on it is that it's like bread and cookies and chips and things like that. Right? Vegetables aren't carbs right? Is fruit a carb? The reason I'm asking is that I think that in order to lose weight a person has to cut out ALL carbs (or at least drastically reduce them) and just eat meat and vegetables. The reason I say this is because I eat a lot of carbs. I eat cookies, chips, crackers. I've been trying to eat fish + vegetables for dinner lately. But I've been running for almost a year now and I haven't lost one single pound. I think it's because I eat too many carb related things. For the next year, I want to focus more on my diet instead of my activity. I really need to lose like 30 pounds.

Ok, so just some random non-iphone related thoughts I thought I'd throw out there. Maybe all this is boring and nobody cares about this. But I care so I'm just trying to figure it all out. Wondering what other people think about this.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    So I was just wondering what you guys think about vitamins? I get conflicting information. And honestly, I don't think anyone really knows the answer but I think it's definitely work talking about. Some people think a multivitamin everyday is good and other people think it's bad. I take one daily. I also take a 1000mg vitamin c pill everyday. I've never really been a vitamin guy but ever since I broke my ankle, I started taking the multivitamin and just never stopped.
    It would seem to me that if a person has a healthy diet, vitamins would not be necessary. I suppose there are probably exceptions because a person has some kind of health disorder but generally vitamins should not be necessary. Of course, this is contingent on eating healthy. Since many people do not, a vitamin could be a good supplement.

Also, I was thinking about vegetables. In previous discussions I was talking about juicing as being a good thing. I think it's a good thing but part of me is wondering lately why we wouldn't just eat vegetables instead of going through all the trouble of juicing? First, juicing destroys the vegetable and second, half the vegetable is thrown out. So why are we doing that again? Anyway, I'm fine with juicing but I think it might be better just to eat vegetables instead.
    Yes, I think eating the vegetables in their natural state would probably be better but in my case, I do not like most vegetables. However, making a juice that is 50% fruit and 50% vegetables works well for me and gets me a lot of nutrients I would otherwise not get.

Ok, so just some random non-iphone related thoughts I thought I'd throw out there. Maybe all this is boring and nobody cares about this. But I care so I'm just trying to figure it all out. Wondering what other people think about this.
    Of course the effectiveness of your vegetables is contingent upon having a good provider for your area, the latest in technology, and hardware with a name that sounds healthy. Without this, you are bound to die any day now.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Ok so you got me thinking here. Good diet = no vitamins. Who'd a thunk it!! Seems so obvious but yet I didn't even think of that. LOL Fair enough. So I got more work to do.

The other thing I found interesting that you mentioned is a juice that is part vegetables and part fruit. That never occurred to me either. In fact, I don't think I've ever even heard of that. That sounds pretty good though.

You don't like vegetables? Maybe it's an acquired taste. Now that I think about it, there's some I don't like either. But generally I like them. I've been buying these bags of frozen steamer vegetables. You throw the bag in the microwave for 5 minutes and done.

No matter what though, this is all very good. I think it's great we are all trying to think more about how to be healthy. I don't know about everyone else here but for years my entire diet has been fast food, soda, pizza, cookies, cigarettes. Of course I'm coming up on a year without smoking, cut back on soda by probably 90% (I'll have one once in awhile but not often lately), I do still eat crappy chips/cookies/etc. -- still working on that, but I've added vegetables and trying to make better choices lately.

Or maybe I'm just wasting my time. Maybe all food is full of poison and it's all wasted effort? Who knows.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    The other thing I found interesting that you mentioned is a juice that is part vegetables and part fruit. That never occurred to me either. In fact, I don't think I've ever even heard of that. That sounds pretty good though.
    Here's my secret recipe for juicing. Don't let anyone else know what it is though. I may want to open a juice bar someday and this recipe will become more valuable than the recipe for Coke.

1 Granny Smith Apple
    1 Pear
    1 Orange
    2 Carrots
    2 Stalks of Celery
    1 Big handful of raw spinach

It looks horrible but actually tastes pretty good.

Administrator
    vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Just boil or steam a few veg, then blitz it... instant soup, no veg to think about. Makes a great filling starter so you eat less main meal and lose weight.... just gotta figure out how to stay off dessert....

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I take vitamin C and B complex...

C for the obvious reasons and B as a natural way to boost my energy in the morning.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    The observations of a 64 year old male on the efficacy of multivitamins:

When I take them, I don't notice much change.
    When I stop taking them, I notice quite a few things.
    1) My fingernails get brittle.
    2) My appetite increases.
    3) My vision is not as acute.
    4) I don't sleep as well.

I am currently not taking much of anything, but eating very healthy food, with the possible exception of tonight's root beer float.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinnacle-Project View Post
    Here's my secret recipe for juicing. Don't let anyone else know what it is though. I may want to open a juice bar someday and this recipe will become more valuable than the recipe for Coke.

1 Granny Smith Apple
    1 Pear
    1 Orange
    2 Carrots
    2 Stalks of Celery
    1 Big handful of raw spinach

It looks horrible but actually tastes pretty good.
    Nice! That actually sounds pretty good. Except the spinach part. I do like spinach but mixed in with all the rest I'm not sure about. But heck, I'll take your word for it that it's good. If anything, that would probably be a great thing to drink before a big run.

Quote Originally Posted by NooNoo View Post
    Just boil or steam a few veg, then blitz it... instant soup, no veg to think about. Makes a great filling starter so you eat less main meal and lose weight.... just gotta figure out how to stay off dessert....
    Staying off dessert is my weakness. That's my next goal I think. Staying off dessert is just about as difficult as quitting smoking. For me anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Larommi View Post
    I take vitamin C and B complex...

C for the obvious reasons and B as a natural way to boost my energy in the morning.
    Hmm. I might have to try that. I didn't realize you could get a boost from vitamin b.

Quote Originally Posted by Tekboy View Post
    The observations of a 64 year old male on the efficacy of multivitamins:

When I take them, I don't notice much change.
    When I stop taking them, I notice quite a few things.
    1) My fingernails get brittle.
    2) My appetite increases.
    3) My vision is not as acute.
    4) I don't sleep as well.

I am currently not taking much of anything, but eating very healthy food, with the possible exception of tonight's root beer float.
    So it sounds like you guys are also taking vitamins. My opinion is that taking them is helping more than it's hurting. I'm just going to keep taking them.

Hey by the way, enjoy that root beer float.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Nice! That actually sounds pretty good. Except the spinach part. I do like spinach but mixed in with all the rest I'm not sure about. But heck, I'll take your word for it that it's good. If anything, that would probably be a great thing to drink before a big run.

Staying off dessert is my weakness. That's my next goal I think. Staying off dessert is just about as difficult as quitting smoking. For me anyway.

Hmm. I might have to try that. I didn't realize you could get a boost from vitamin b.

So it sounds like you guys are also taking vitamins. My opinion is that taking them is helping more than it's hurting. I'm just going to keep taking them.

Hey by the way, enjoy that root beer float.
    For the most part, if you have a good diet, taking vitamins just makes expensive urine. But, who has a good diet 24/7?

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Larommi View Post
    For the most part, if you have a good diet, taking vitamins just makes expensive urine. But, who has a good diet 24/7?
    Not me, that's for sure. But I'm working on it.