Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Signed up for a 10 mile race

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

Signed up for a 10 mile race

One of my goals for running this year is to run in at least one race. Growing up there used to be a race from Henderson, KY to Evansville, IN that closed down one of the twin bridges connecting the states. This is the first year they are having the race again, and I've excited about running it. The distance is longer than it was in the past. Used to be a 12k (about 7.5 miles), and now it's 10 miles. I'm a bit nervous because I'm currently running 3-4 miles about 3 times a week, so I need to up my mileage to make sure I'm able to run the whole thing. I've been told this shouldn't be a problem though.

This is the course. Is starts at the bottom and finishes at the top.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Run a 5K three times a week like you're doing right now. (M-W-F as an example) add a "long run" on Sunday. Start it at 5 miles. Run slower than your 5K pace. The goal is just to finish ideally without walking. Up the mileage on that long run by a .5 mile every week. A .5 mile increase weekly will get you to around 9 or 9.5 miles the sunday before the race. taper that race week (short recovery run on monday, 5K wednesday rest until race day) and you're good to go.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by 74AD View Post
    Run a 5K three times a week like you're doing right now. (M-W-F as an example) add a "long run" on Sunday. Start it at 5 miles. Run slower than your 5K pace. The goal is just to finish ideally without walking. Up the mileage on that long run by a .5 mile every week. A .5 mile increase weekly will get you to around 9 or 9.5 miles the sunday before the race. taper that race week (short recovery run on monday, 5K wednesday rest until race day) and you're good to go.
    That's pretty much the advice I was given.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Of course it doesn't help that the day after I sign up, I get a sore throat.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by riot View Post
    That's pretty much the advice I was given.
    you'll see significant gains on your long run pretty quickly. Especially if you are running where there are hills, but that's doubtful for you in indiana :-) When I was actually committed to running, I had worked up to nearly 10 miles on some rough courses elevation wise. I'm trying to get myself back into it......not super successfully....

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by 74AD View Post
    you'll see significant gains on your long run pretty quickly. Especially if you are running where there are hills, but that's doubtful for you in indiana :-) When I was actually committed to running, I had worked up to nearly 10 miles on some rough courses elevation wise. I'm trying to get myself back into it......not super successfully....
    Right now, I'm still treadmilling it up at the Y, but I'm hoping to get back outside in the next couple weeks.

We've got some nice hills here in SW Indiana. Here's some data I pulled from Runkeeper last year regarding what was my usual running route.

Code:
    Elevation    Distance   Gain/Loss
    461          .53        +54
    487          .3         +26
    458          .18        -29
    491          .18        +33 cresting the big hill
    469          .13        -22 turning around
    491          .13        +22
    456          .19        -35
    486          .17        +30
    461          .28        -25
    407          .5         -54
    And here are some pictures of the hill I normally run over.

Nice side. Pretty gradual steady climb.

Evil side. Steep, then levels off a bit before steep again. You have to look closely to see the actual top of the hill.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    that's not too bad...looks like the hill I have to run to get home every day...
    this is one of the hardest hills I've run
    https://www.google.com/maps/@40.1463...EMmUMDX5TQ!2e0

it's about 1/2 mile and elevation goes from around 900ft at the base to 1350 (ish) at the peak. it's a HARD run.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    rotate the view so that the guy and arrow are facing east or the N is on the left arrow (higher up on the map) and you can follow reds mill run hill...it's a doozy... looking at it on maps it's actually about a 1.5 mile climb....
    Last edited by 74AD; 03-10-2014 at 04:17 PM.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Personally, I think the biggest favor you can do for yourself is to stay consistent. Just have to keep doing it throughout the week. I let 2 weeks go by and then this weekend thought I could try for a half-marathon. I went to my usual running place and was all set to do the 13.1 miles. It started out ok but I totally fell apart around mile 7. Ended the day with 8.5 miles. I'll get into a running pattern but then one day get busy or lazy and then I let a day go by, then 2 days, before you know it 2 weeks have passed.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
    Personally, I think the biggest favor you can do for yourself is to stay consistent. Just have to keep doing it throughout the week. I let 2 weeks go by and then this weekend thought I could try for a half-marathon. I went to my usual running place and was all set to do the 13.1 miles. It started out ok but I totally fell apart around mile 7. Ended the day with 8.5 miles. I'll get into a running pattern but then one day get busy or lazy and then I let a day go by, then 2 days, before you know it 2 weeks have passed.
    try almost 6 months. I went from running every single day (around 3 miles a day) to hardly getting out there at all...

I'm trying to get back into it, but it's frustrating...I've lost my pace, lost my legs etc....