Thread: Office 2010

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate

Office 2010

Anyone had problems activating this using KMS servers or Internet?

Had a call this morning, previously activated PC with Office 2010 on it, now asking for a valid key. Went along with the valid key to initially be told it was not a valid office installation key, tried a different method and it took the key and went through the process as if it was activating. Closed Word, opened back up and it instantly asks to authenticate, when trying I get an error message 0x80070190, which appears to point to a problem with UAC requiring elevated privilege to allow activation.

Haven't tried the solutions yet, use at lunch until 1400. Anyone else experienced this?

John

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Other than mistaking an "I" for a "1", I have not. I was prompted once to call M$ on a re-install but I rebooted the computer and tried later and it worked.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    I have office 2010 on my hp elitepad 9000...so problems with activation at all.
    I so prefer 2010 to 2013...having to tie the activation / key to a ms account on 2013 is such complete BS.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Pretty sure I had exactly the same problem a couple of months back. Start any Office app with elevation (right-click icon and run as admin) and the activation should work. I think this is a bug that happens even if the current user is local admin.

Administrator
    vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    There is also a bug if you have 2007 Office programs (even the viewers) which screws up activation.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Well it was down to elevated priviliges I ran this script cscript oops.vbs /act in a command prompt with elevated priv. (in Prog Files/MS Office/Office14) No Office 2007 components on that I could see, but he has recently updated Office with Windows Updates. I just hope it's a one off and that the remaining gazillion PC's on campus don't develop this issue.... What I don't understand is why it was activated previously and has worked for months and all of sudden it's become de-activated. Anyways all sorted for now!

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by corturbra View Post
    Well it was down to elevated priviliges I ran this script cscript oops.vbs /act in a command prompt with elevated priv. (in Prog Files/MS Office/Office14) No Office 2007 components on that I could see, but he has recently updated Office with Windows Updates. I just hope it's a one off and that the remaining gazillion PC's on campus don't develop this issue.... What I don't understand is why it was activated previously and has worked for months and all of sudden it's become de-activated. Anyways all sorted for now!
    Way too much software these days wants to phone home periodically to validate the license. A hiccup in Internet connectivity at the wrong time can cause a world of heartache. I expect you just had a computer bitten by a glitch that isn't likely to replicate. However, I've seen the same error with computers that have had the CMOS battery fail, and then report an incorrect time and time zone to MS activation servers. Anytime you experience a problem with Windows activation, you should always check the time settings on the affected computer.

vCash
    Bank
    Total Points
    Donate
    Quote Originally Posted by slgrieb View Post
    Way too much software these days wants to phone home periodically to validate the license. A hiccup in Internet connectivity at the wrong time can cause a world of heartache. I expect you just had a computer bitten by a glitch that isn't likely to replicate. However, I've seen the same error with computers that have had the CMOS battery fail, and then report an incorrect time and time zone to MS activation servers. Anytime you experience a problem with Windows activation, you should always check the time settings on the affected computer.
    Good advice :-)