At the CompTIA conference I was at last week, they told us they are updating the content of the IT Fundamentals exam. It is in beta right now and should come out in its final form in October. They need a limited number of people to take the beta test. Starting today, it is available.

If you want to take it, go to the Pearson VUE site and log in. Go to the CompTIA area and you will find exam number FC1-U51. Select it and then use promo code ITFU51beta in order to access it for free. YOU CAN TAKE THIS EXAM FROM ANY COMPUTER, YOU DO NOT HAVE TO GO TO A TESTING CENTER.

It is 100 questions and you have 90 minutes. I just took it and had 20 minutes leftover despite stopping to leave comments on their questions from time to time. Yes, I know it is not a big addition to your resume but it still has some value to service/network techs. I encouraged both my instructor and tutor to find time in their schedules to take it today. You will not immediately know if you passed. When you register for the test, it appears you can take it anytime in the next 30 days. Once CompTIA has all of the results, they will decide what the pass/fail score is. Once they know that, they will let people know how they did. If you pass, you will be certified and receive a certificate just like if you took the final version later this year.

Good luck.